Only candidates who apply via email to (HR “at” TWDB.texas.gov) with an official State of Texas Application or through the WorkInTexas.com website will be considered for this position. View this position and apply at https://tinyurl.com/yeolk9u6
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), flexible spending, and flexible work hours so you can have a work/life balance! For more information about these benefits and more visit: http://www.twdb.texas.gov/jobs/benefits.asp
Job Description Summary
Performs entry-level financial examination, analysis and compliance monitoring work. Conducts financial and compliance reviews of local entities for which the Texas Water Development Board (TWDB) serves as lender or grantor. Work involves conducting examinations to determine and report on financial condition and compliance with statutory requirements, and financing/lending agreements. May train others. Works under close supervision, with minimal latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Reports to the Director of the Financial Compliance Division.
Essential Job Functions
- Conducts financial examinations with the assistance of others.
- Conducts financial reviews of entities that have received financial awards from TWDB: evaluates recorded assets, liabilities, surpluses, and capital for compliance with statutes, rules, and regulations.
- Conducts financial compliance and stability reviews of municipalities for which the TWDB serves as bondholder, identifying instances of noncompliance and/or default risk.
- Verifies the accuracy of records, work papers, and related financial statements; determines proper documentation and adequate procedures; and detects and records variances from policies, procedures and borrowing covenants.
- Assesses findings of noncompliance and default risk and recommends corrective action plans and strategies for remedial intervention and surveillance.
- Prepares worksheets and summaries of financial examinations.
- Conducts reviews of municipalities and water authorities which received loans from the TWDB to ensure compliance with loan covenants.
- Reviews borrowers ordinances, private placement memorandums, and financial documentation to determine compliance with TWDB requirements.
- Prepares and updates reports produced by TxWISE (TWDB internal operating system platform).
- Responsible for timely and accurate data entry associated with all assigned work.
- Maintains confidential and sensitive information.
- Ensures individual and team files (electronic and hard versions) are appropriately maintained and timely disposed of in accordance with the agencys records retention procedures and schedule.
- Maintains required certifications and licenses and meets the continuing education needs and requirements of the position to include, attending mandatory training courses.
- May be required to operate a state or personal vehicle for business purposes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting, Economics, Insurance, or related field (or related experience as an intern) is generally preferred.
- Relevant education and experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
- Undergraduate degree or MBA from an accredited college or university with a specialization in Accounting, Finance, Public Administration, Public Finance, Computer Science and/or Math.
- One to two years of experience as a financial examiner.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations relevant to the Texas Water Development Board; and of the principles and practices of public administration.
- Knowledge of auditing and accounting standards and techniques.
- Knowledge of financial and industry terminology and practices.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services.
- Knowledge of corporate structures, business operating procedures, management control, and internal reporting techniques.
- Skills in using Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, and Access.
- Skills in use of internet, email, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database software.
- Skills in communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.
- Skills in managing ones own time.
- Skills in the use of standard office equipment.
- Ability to adhere to work schedules, follow procedures with respect to leave and submit accurate timesheets by prescribed deadlines.
- Ability to make mature, objective decisions and identify areas of potential problems.
- Ability to perform effectively and willingly when changes occur in scope and nature of the work and work environment.
- Ability to perform routine and non-routine work assignments accurately and on-time with little or no supervision.
- Ability to perform assigned duties and improve work habits and/or output.
- Ability to complete assigned work, on time, neatly and with infrequent errors.
- Ability to interpret policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Ability to provide prompt, courteous and accurate assistance and clear and concise communication to internal and external stakeholders both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work and cooperate with others in a team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to stand/sit/move with no physical limitations or aids to perform activities such as retrieve/replace files in a large file system for boxes up to 30 lbs.
- Ability and willingness to travel 20% of the time, primarily within the State of Texas.
- Ability to operate a vehicle (state or personal) for state business and maintain a drivers license and driving record that complies with state and agency requirements.
- Ability to work days that may exceed 8 hours, including early mornings, nights, and weekends.
- Ability to train others.
- Ability to prepare concise reports and correspondence.
- Ability to apply relevant rules, regulations, and statutes.
- Ability to understand financial processes and systems.
- Ability to perform and interpret numerical analyses.
- Ability to analyze, evaluate, and summarize financial and management records accurately.