Only candidates who apply via email to (HR “at” TWDB.texas.gov) with an official State of Texas Application or through the WorkInTexas.com website will be considered for this position. View this position and apply at https://tinyurl.com/yfp3k7xs
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), flexible spending, and flexible work hours so you can have a work/life balance! For more information about these benefits and more visit: http://www.twdb.texas.gov/jobs/benefits.asp
Job Description Summary
The Scientific Programmers of the Information Technology Division supports the development of advanced applications and data analytics for critical water-related data. The highly advanced, scientific applications that are developed by this team help support the agencys mission in providing valuable information and support for the conservation and responsible development of water for Texas. This work involves performing complex (journey-level) to highly complex (senior-level) computer programming and software development work. Work involves assisting the project manager in coordinating programming, data distribution, and providing technical assistance to internal and external customers. Planning and analyzing user requirements, procedures, and problems to automate processing, data collection and distribution, and to improve existing systems. Assisting in maintaining software that retrieves and inserts data into relational databases. Assisting in maintaining data related webpages and/or geospatial viewers and providing technical assistance. May train others. Works under general to limited supervision, with moderate to considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Reports to the Manager of the Application Development Department.
Essential Job Functions
- Codes, tests, and debugs computer application programs and/or geospatial viewers as outlined by technical and functional requirements.
- Assists in the identification and scheduling of project deliverables, milestones and required tasks.
- Generates project requirements; provides effort estimates and resource requirements.
- Develops, analyzes, and revises system design procedures, program code, test procedures, and quality standards.
- Uses current software design and development methodologies and techniques to ensure quality and maintainability of applications and systems.
- Prepares test data and assists end users with testing.
- Prepares instructions for use during production runs.
- Prepares and develops instructions or manuals for end users.
- Analyzes proposed computer applications or geospatial viewers in terms of equipment requirements and capabilities.
- Analyzes, reviews and revises code to increase operating efficiency or to adapt to new procedures.
- Assists in the generation or installation of systems software.
- Assists in developing standards, best practices and procedures for programming staff.
- Confers with staff members to schedule work and coordinate programming projects.
- Prepares detailed analyses, plans, diagrams and verification procedures for existing and proposed computer applications.
- Develops and implements specialized programs to supplement and enhance systems software.
- May train others.
- Maintains confidential and sensitive information.
- Ensures individual and team files (electronic and hard versions) are appropriately maintained and timely disposed of in accordance with the agencys records retention procedures and schedule.
- Maintains required certifications and licenses and meets the continuing education needs and requirements of the position to include, attending mandatory training courses.
- May be required to operate a state or personal vehicle for business purposes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in Computer Science, Information Science, Information Technology, Geographic Information Systems, or related field.
- Three to five years of experience developing software applications using Python. Experience may be academic, open source or work related.
- Relevant education and experience may be substituted on a year-for-year basis.
- Experience in the development and analysis of geospatial, engineering and/or scientific data.
- Experience in the development and analysis of time-series data.
- Experience with the graphical display of engineering and/or scientific data.
- Experience with numerical and statistical methods.
- Experience with groundwater and/or surface water modeling.
- Experience with Geographic Information Systems and developing / programming GIS web applications.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations relevant to the Application Development Department; and of the principles and practices of public administration.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and techniques of computer programming and systems analysis.
- Knowledge of the Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
- Knowledge of relational databases and data management, with PostgreSQL experience preferred.
- Knowledge of the State of Texas environmental and natural resources, particularly water resources management.
- Skills in using Microsoft Office programs such as Word, Excel, and Access.
- Skills in use of internet, email, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database software.
- Skills in the development of unit tested software.
- Skills in the development of web applications and/or web services using Python, with experience in Flask or Django preferred.
- Skills in the development of scientific Python applications, with experience in NumPy, SciPy or Pandas preferred.
- Skills in the use of UNIX/Linux operating systems, with experience in systems administration preferred.
- Skills in the deployment of software applications, with experience in Fabric or Ansible preferred.
- Skills in the use of distributed version control systems, with experience in GitHub preferred.
- Skills in the use and deployment of Cloud services, with experience in AWS preferred.
- Skills in providing excellent customer service both internally and externally.
- Skills in decision making and problem solving.
- Skills in building cooperative partnerships with and provide services and products to internal and external customers.
- Skills in modifying or developing programs for computer applications.
- Ability to develop, analyze and design system requirements and processes.
- Ability to adhere to work schedules, follow procedures with respect to leave and submit accurate timesheets by prescribed deadlines.
- Ability to make mature, objective decisions and identify areas of potential problems.
- Ability to perform effectively and willingly when changes occur in scope and nature of the work and work environment.
- Ability to perform routine and non-routine work assignments accurately and on-time with little or no supervision.
- Ability to perform assigned duties and improve work habits and/or output.
- Ability to complete assigned work, on time, neatly and with infrequent errors.
- Ability to interpret policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Ability to provide prompt, courteous and accurate assistance and clear and concise communication to internal and external stakeholders both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work and cooperate with others in a team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to stand/sit/move with no physical limitations or aids to perform activities such as retrieve/replace files in a large file system for boxes up to 30 lbs.
- Ability to operate a vehicle (state or personal) for state business and maintain a drivers license and driving record that complies with state and agency requirements.
- Ability to work days that may exceed eight hours, including early mornings, nights, and weekends.
- Ability to train others.