Only candidates who apply via email to (HR “at” TWDB.texas.gov) with an official State of Texas Application or through the WorkInTexas.com website will be considered for this position. View this position and apply at https://tinyurl.com/ygp8w7h9
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), flexible spending, and flexible work hours so you can have a work/life balance! For more information about these benefits and more visit: http://www.twdb.texas.gov/jobs/benefits.asp
To be considered for this position, the applicant MUST submit five writing samples: two press releases, one article, and two samples of the applicants choice. Samples should demonstrate the breadth and scope of writing abilities. You may email these samples to HR@twdb.texas.gov after applying through WorkInTexas.com.
Job Description Summary
The Texas Water Development Board is seeking a motivated and detail-oriented communicator who will be dedicated to sharing the stories of our states most important resource: water. This person will perform advanced (senior-level) work that involve coordinating and executing the research, writing, editing, and distribution of information and materials for release to news media and for use by the agency, the public, and other agencies. Serves as the agency liaison with media. Plans and executes conferences, including the TWDBs biennial Water for Texas conference. May train others. Works under limited supervision, with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. Reports to the Manager of the Strategic Communications Department.
Essential Job Functions
- Serves as primary agency liaison with media and coordinates media interviews.
- Researches and identifies story ideas, angles, and relevant media to proactively pitch.
- Writes and distributes press releases, media advisories, and email blasts.
- Plans and executes the agencys Water for Texas conference.
- Coordinates agencys exhibit booth at other conferences and attends to staff the exhibit.
- Develops talking points and media interview materials.
- Advises senior management and staff on news issues.
- Conducts staff media training.
- Develops and executes media plans for meetings, conferences, and agency initiatives.
- Coordinates and executes press conferences.
- Builds and maintains relationships with media.
- Manages agency media lists.
- Compiles daily news clips and distributes to TWDB staff.
- Writes and edits other agency materials as needed, including articles for the Texas Water Newsroom.
- Develops, coordinates, and distributes the monthly internal and external newsletters.
- Develops, posts, and manages some website content.
- Maintains confidential and sensitive information.
- Ensures individual and team files (electronic and hard versions) are appropriately maintained and timely disposed of in accordance with the agencys records retention procedures and schedule.
- Maintains required certifications and licenses and meets the continuing education needs and requirements of the position to include attending mandatory training courses.
- May be required to operate a state or personal vehicle for business purposes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in Journalism, Public Relations, English, Communications, or a related field.
- Three to four years of media relations experience.
- Experience writing press releases, articles, and other materials (written samples required; see note above and below).
- Education and experience may be substituted for one another on a year-for-year basis.
- More than four years or more experience in media relations.
- Experience coordinating events or conferences.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Knowledge of local, state, and federal laws and regulations relevant to Communications and of the principles and practices of public administration.
- Knowledge of news and communication media.
- Knowledge of social media platforms and trends.
- Knowledge and master of grammar, style, and usage guidelines.
- Skills in using such Microsoft Office programs as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Skills in use of internet, email, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database software.
- Skills in event planning and management.
- Skills in attention to detail and accuracy.
- Skills in using Adobe Creative Suite.
- Skills in oral and written communication.
- Skills in pitching news media through oral and written communication.
- Ability to adhere to work schedules, follow procedures with respect to leave, and submit accurate timesheets by prescribed deadlines.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Ability to make mature, objective decisions and identify areas of potential problems.
- Ability to perform effectively and willingly when changes occur in scope and nature of the work and work environment.
- Ability to perform routine and non-routine work assignments accurately and on time with little or no supervision.
- Ability to perform assigned duties and improve work habits and/or output.
- Ability to complete assigned work on time, neatly, and with infrequent errors.
- Ability to interpret policies, procedures, and regulations.
- Ability to provide prompt, courteous, and accurate assistance and clear and concise communication to internal and external stakeholders both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work and cooperate with others in a team environment.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks.
- Ability to stand/sit/move with no physical limitations or aids to perform activities, such as retrieve/replace files in a large file system for boxes up to 30 lbs.
- Ability and willingness to travel 20% of the time, primarily within the state of Texas.
- Ability to operate a vehicle (state or personal) for state business and maintain a drivers license and driving record that complies with state and agency requirements.
- Ability to work a schedule that may occasionally exceed 8 hours a day, including early mornings, nights, and weekends.
- Ability to train others.
- Ability to work with senior management.
- To be considered for this position, the applicant MUST submit five writing samples:
- two press releases,
- one article, and
- two samples of the applicants choice.
Samples should demonstrate the breadth and scope of writing abilities. You may email these samples to HR@twdb.texas.gov after applying through WorkInTexas.com.