The Calhoun School, a leading progressive, independent, co-educational day school in Manhattan is launching an Associate Apprenticeship program in our Early Childhood division, beginning August 2021. Associate Teachers participating in this program are regarded as teachers-in-training with the opportunity to learn under a seasoned classroom teacher and gain hands-on experience in the classroom.
Associate Teachers work closely with Head Teachers to create a rich, stimulating and child-centered learning community for our students. Candidates must possess an interest in progressive education, a passion for working with young children and excellent communication skills.
Associate Teachers collaborate closely with their partnered Head Teacher and report directly to the Lower School – Early Childhood Division Director.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Associate Teachers assist the Head Teacher with all day-to-day duties including lesson preparation and classroom set up. In addition to learning the craft of teaching by supporting the Head Teacher and assisting with classroom practices, Associate Teachers will be responsible for:
- Planning and conducting small group or whole class lessons
- Assessing and documenting students’ development
- Supporting the Head Teachers in curriculum development and the daily maintenance of the in-person and/or virtual classroom.
- Collaborating with colleagues to share best practices and ensure student progress
- Attending faculty meetings and conferences, as required
- Maintaining consistent relationships with families, including phone calls, emails and conferences
- Engaging in the wider life of the Lower School – Early Childhood division
- Displaying a strong commitment to, belief in, and alignment with Calhoun’s mission and values
- Maintaining a high level of professionalism
- Bachelor’s degree is required; interest in pursuing an advanced degree is preferred
- Flexibility and ability to cope with change, punctuality and sense of humor are essential
- Interest in working in a progressive and humanistic school with a focus on experiential and place based teaching and learning
- Appreciation for, and commitment to, diversity and social justice in multiple forms
- Demonstration of enthusiasm and interpersonal skills to relate well with students, staff, administration, parents and the community
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY WORK
Calhoun is committed to addressing issues of social justice, diversity, equity, and anti-bias education in our curriculum and in our community. Teachers must be willing learners and participants in supporting this work.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY POLICY
Calhoun is committed to recruiting, hiring and supporting a diverse staff and welcomes applicants of all gender, sexuality, religious, ethnic, racial and cultural identities. Calhoun does not unlawfully discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of one’s actual or perceived race; color; religion; sex/gender (including gender identity); creed; sexual orientation; marital status; pregnancy; ethnicity; national origin; ancestry; age; disability.
We actively encourage applications from candidates with broad and diverse backgrounds and identities.
ALONG WITH AN APPLICATION, QUALIFIED APPLICANTS SHOULD SUBMIT:
- Statement of Interest in the Position