- Reports to: Fellow, Faith and Progressive Policy Initiative
- Department: Faith and Progressive Policy Initiative
- Position classification: Internship
American Progress has an immediate opening for a virtual summer internship with the Faith and Progressive Policy Initiative. Religion is a significant force in the personal lives of many Americans and in the nation’s public life, serving as a source of meaning, a drive for justice, and an inspiration for the common good. The Faith and Progressive Policy Initiative works to ensure that the needs and concerns of religious communities are included in discourse on progressive public policy. The Faith and Progressive Policy Initiative also works to safeguard the healthy separation of church and state that has allowed religion to flourish in the United States. The initiative works directly with national and grasstops religious leaders on issues of public policy; hosts events and convenings; conducts research; and works with American Progress’ other policy teams and experts to provide analysis on the intersection of religion and progressive public policy.
The intern will join a team of policy experts who are actively shaping the nation’s public discourse about religion and politics. They will contribute to the team’s policy analysis and public advocacy work across a range of issue areas and develop the basic skills needed to be a policy professional at a progressive nonprofit.
- Contribute original research to American Progress products, including columns, issue briefs, and reports.
- Assist with rapid-response communications and advocacy campaigns.
- Create compelling content for the Faith and Progressive Policy Initiative’s Twitter account.
- Track social media analytics and provide weekly reports on key metrics.
- Take notes during weekly staff meetings and in other meetings as assigned, including relevant seminars, congressional hearings, and lectures at outside organizations.
- Create clips packages that summarize press coverage of religion and progressive public policy.
- Maintain accurate written and electronic files and databases.
- Draft and/or edit letters, invitations, and other documents.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Current pursuance of an associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s or doctorate degree, or recent graduate.
- Experience creating content for social media platforms.
- Excellent research, writing and editing skills.
- Demonstrated interest in religion, policy, advocacy, and communications.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and seeks direction as needed.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to diagnose problems and identify creative solutions.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress interns are paid at the D.C. minimum wage rate of $15 per hour. Interns will receive paid time off for federal holidays.