- Reports to: Senior Director of Communications and Digital Strategy, Generation Progress
- Department: Generation Progress
- Position classification: Internship
American Progress has an opening for a virtual summer intern with the Generation Progress team. The Generation Progress intern will have the opportunity to expand their organizing and communications skills across all issues important to young people in the progressive movement. Internship responsibilities include creating website content; helping organize virtual events; drafting and pitching op-eds; drafting blog posts and other written products; creating flyers and shareables; and tracking media for the team.
With the Generation Progress communications subteam, the intern will engage in brainstorming creative social media campaigns that will energize young people across the country. This internship provides a good sense of how politics and media interact within the Washington policy sphere. The intern will also work with the Generation Progress organizing subteam to brainstorm creative rapid-response and long-term grassroots actions and engagement tactics.
- Write and publish on the Generation Progress website.
- Learn the ins and outs of a radio studio by helping with Generation Progress’ weekly radio show.
- Assist with Generation Progress’ high-profile virtual events.
- Edit policy reports.
- Draft fun and innovative social media posts, including shareables and other graphics.
- Draft op-eds and blog posts.
- Help improve and update the team’s websites.
- Compile resources for Generation Progress action toolkits.
- Compile and send out press clips.
- Attend all-staff press team meetings and learn about big press shops.
- Meet virtually with student groups.
- Use the voter database NGP VAN to update Generation Progress’ youth lists and track the team’s actions.
- Research youth statistical data and run citation checks.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Current pursuance of an associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree, or recent graduate.
- Excellent research, writing, and editing skills.
- Interest in policy, advocacy, and communications.
- Ability to work under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal skills.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and seeks direction as needed.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to diagnose problems and identify creative solutions.
- Commitment to American Progress’ and Generation Progress’ mission and goals.
American Progress interns are paid at the D.C. minimum wage rate of $15 per hour. Interns will receive paid time off for federal holidays.