American Progress has an opening starting in January 2021 for a Special Assistant to join the Development team. The Special Assistant will be an integral part of the Development Operations unit and work closely with front-line fundraisers to provide support for a robust fundraising program in a fast-paced environment. This individual will be responsible for handling Salesforce database entry, reporting, and audits; serving as the first point of contact for donor inquiries; and liaising with the Executive and Finance teams on administrative matters, among other activities. This position is ideal for a well-organized, detail-oriented professional who is either beginning a career or is an experienced administrative support professional in nonprofit fundraising and who is committed to a progressive policy agenda.
- Demonstrate exceptional customer service; serve as the Development team’s primary point of contact for donor and internal staff inquiries; and deftly handle or elevate questions as appropriate.
- Accurately record donations and payments received by the Development team and other departments in the database daily.
- Produce gift receipts, disclosures, and acknowledgement letters for all donations in a timely and accurate fashion; prepare invoices on an as-needed basis; draft new acknowledgement templates annually; draft other donor correspondence as requested by the Vice President, CEO, and Senior Director of Development.
- Perform scheduled and ad hoc database activities, including report generation, data audits, and data entry.
- Provide daily administrative support to the Vice President of Development.
- Provide administrative support to the Individual and Corporate Giving units, including scheduling, event planning logistics, and meeting preparation.
- Maintain current documentation for the position’s business processes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience.
- Prior experience with Salesforce or other customer relationship management databases, such as Raiser’s Edge.
- Demonstrated commitment to precision and detail.
- Outstanding communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills, with an emphasis on timeliness.
- Prior experience in a development department or scheduling for a senior professional is a plus.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and a broad progressive agenda.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Prior experience with Confluence is a plus.
- Prior experience with online donation platforms—Engaging Networks, Salsa, Luminate Online, etc.—is a plus.
- Demonstrated flexibility and eagerness to learn.
- Ability to occasionally work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Demonstrated ability to follow instructions and ask clarifying questions.
- Ability to take initiative, work independently, and work as a member of a team.
- Ability to prioritize, multitask, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
This position is budgeted for $40,000. American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.