- Reports to: Deputy Director, Energy and Environment War Room
- Staff reporting to this position: None
- Department: Energy and Environment
- Position classification: Nonexempt, full time
American Progress is seeking a Special Assistant to the Energy and Environment team. The Special Assistant will assist the Senior Vice President and Managing Director for Energy and Environment Policy—along with Energy and Environment team staff—with scheduling, event coordination, administrative tasks, and social media support as needed. In addition, the Special Assistant will support the team’s story bank project by interviewing individuals who have compelling and diverse personal stories about the importance of strong environmental protections, as well as drafting op-eds and letters to the editor amplifying their stories. This position calls for a highly organized, detail-oriented, responsible, and proactive individual whom the policy staff can rely on to work independently and deliver high-quality administrative and research support.
- Schedule appointments, meetings, and conferences, as well as coordinate staff and visitor travel for the Energy and Environment team, primarily for the Senior Vice President.
- Create, organize, and maintain accurate written and electronic files and databases.
- Provide logistical support for all staff meetings, public events, and conferences.
- Process invoices, facilitate contracts, and prepare other administrative forms.
- Occasionally draft and/or edit letters, invitations, and other documents.
- Support the story bank project by vetting potential storytellers, interviewing storytellers over the phone, and drafting media amplifying their stories. Provide social media support as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Commitment to progressive values, including environmental and social justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Interest and investment in informing effective working relationships based on strong oral and written communications.
- A drive and interest in taking things on through independent initiative, with direction sought as needed.
- Strong ability to plan ahead, prioritize, allocate time, multitask, and coordinate with diverse internal and external partners, including environmental justice and labor allies.
- Willingness to take independent ownership and initiative in relation to the team’s overall administrative organization.
- Willingness to conduct phone calls to interview and vet storytellers for the Energy and Environment team’s story bank.
- Prior work experience is required, which can include summer jobs, internships, or part-time work.
- Strong desire to learn about environmental policy and how environmental issues intersect with racism and economic and social inequality in the United States.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Outlook, with basic proficiency in Excel.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and goals.
This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70.