- Reports to: Deputy Director, Energy and Environment War Room
- Department: Energy and Environment
- Position classification: Internship
The Center for American Progress Action Fund has an opening for a virtual summer 2021 intern with the Energy and Environment War Room, the communications and rapid-response arm of the broader Energy and Environment team. The Story Bank and Communications Intern will support the team’s story bank project by interviewing individuals who have compelling and diverse personal stories about the importance of strong environmental protections, as well as drafting op-eds and letters to the editor amplifying their stories. The story bank project helps connect climate and environmental justice issues to people’s lived experiences, demonstrating the urgent need for climate action today.
This position calls for a highly organized individual who is excited to engage with external partners and storytellers. The intern may also support the Energy and Environment War Room’s general communications tactics by drafting social media copy, tracking press articles, and providing logistical and tracking support for events, product rollouts, and other key moments. This internship is virtual and will not be based in Washington, D.C.
- Support the story bank project by identifying and vetting potential storytellers, interviewing storytellers over the phone or by video, and drafting media—including letters to the editor, opinion pieces, and social media—that amplify their stories.
- Provide social media support by drafting social media copy for the Energy and Environment War Room and broader Energy and Environment team’s policy products, articles, and storyteller products.
- Occasionally draft and/or edit letters, invitations, and other documents.
- Provide research and advocacy support as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Commitment to progressive values, including environmental and social justice, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Interest and investment in informing effective working relationships based on strong verbal and written communications.
- Ability to plan ahead, prioritize, allocate time, and coordinate with diverse internal and external partners, including environmental justice and labor allies.
- Eagerness to learn how to draft op-eds and other forms of media.
- Willingness and excitement to conduct cold phone calls to interview and vet storytellers for the Energy and Environment team’s story bank.
- Strong desire to learn about environmental policy and how environmental issues intersect with racism and economic and social inequality in the United States.
- Commitment to treating all partners, internal and external, with courtesy and respecting those of different cultural backgrounds.
- Commitment to American Progress’ mission and values.
American Progress interns are paid at the D.C. minimum wage rate of $15 per hour. Interns will receive paid time off for federal holidays.