The Editorial and Communications Scholar will become part of our team for the summer, helping out on everything from editing and trafficking posts for the website, to drafting website copy, press releases, and subscriber emails, to staffing events, building stakeholder lists, proofreading documents, updating our website, and designing posts for social media. You’ll also be involved in our strategic discussions about ensuring that TCF’s work has the greatest possible impact.
A news junkie, an accomplished writer, an adept editor, and a passionate progressive who is excited about having an impact on the world. You get a kick out of taking complicated concepts and helping others to engage with and understand them. You’re detail oriented, you enjoy noticing grammatical errors in the New York Times, and you aren’t bad at the crossword either. Adept at juggling multiple tasks at once, you’ll thrive in an environment where you’re responsible for getting through varied small jobs throughout the day, while also managing a larger project in the background. Last but not least, you’re a people person and like working as part of a team.
- Some college, perhaps more. You should be an undergrad, grad student, or recent graduate with a strong background in policy analysis or communications.
- Exceptional research skills. You need to be quick, thorough, and accurate. You should be able to work with complex data, and then present that data in engaging graphic formats.
- A good writer. Everyone thinks they write well. You actually do. If you can also communicate well in-person, that’s even better.
- A self-starter. You’re looking for the opportunity to own a project and work independently.
- A team player. TCF is highly collaborative. We want you to own your project, but we also want you to remember that your colleagues have some skills that you probably don’t.
- A multi-tasker. You’ll be working on a lot of different things on any given day. You’ll have to be organized, good with details, and have a knack for problem solving to succeed here.
- A progressive. TCF is a progressive public policy think tank. If you spend your evenings with Hannity and Breitbart, you’ll probably be pretty unhappy here.
- A sense of humor. Have you read these descriptions? This will be your life.