TITLE: Forest Analyst
LINE OF BUSINESS/DIVISION: Working Forest Fund®
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
REPORTS TO: Manager, Portfolio Analysis, Working Forest Fund
NUMBER OF POSITIONS REPORTING TO THIS POSITION: none
LOCATION: Chapel Hill, NC (preferred)
THE CONSERVATION FUND
The Conservation Fund (“TCF” or the “Fund”) is a nonprofit conservation organization dedicated to the dual mission of protecting America’s most important land, water, and natural resources while also supporting economic growth in communities. Top-ranked for efficiency and effectiveness, we have worked in all 50 states to protect over 8.5 million acres of land since 1985.
The Forest Analyst, Working Forest Fund® (WFF), will report to the Manager, Portfolio Analysis WFF. This position will support the conservation and disposition of forestland in the WFF portfolio. The Forest Analyst will serve as a key resource to the Forest Conservation team. Primary duties include data management, map making, appraisal review, discounted cashflow analysis and forest growth and yield modeling.
RESPONSIBLITIES & SCOPE
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Maintain and improve Geographic Information System (GIS) databases.
- Provide high-quality maps for grant applications and marketing materials, internal and external use and GIS analysis for the Land Protection Specialist and Conservation Director.
- Maintain and improve forest inventory databases for the current ownership.
- Update and summarize forest inventory data.
- Support Real Estate Specialist with third-party timberland appraisal review.
- Assist with forest harvest scheduling, growth and yield modeling, and forest carbon project development.
- Assist Manager of Portfolio Analysis with internal and external presentations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Forestry or another related field; Master’s Degree in Forestry or another related field strongly preferred.
- Expert in ESRI products and GIS analysis.
- Ability to create high quality maps that communicate complex data in a simple and clear manner
- Excellent communication skills.
- Motivated individual, eager to learn and to contribute as opportunities arise.
- Quantitative acumen with the ability to frame issues, think creatively and conceptually, and perform financial analyses
- Ability to synthesize complex or diverse information; collect and research data; use intuition and experience to complement data; and design workflows and procedures.
- Expert in basic business software (MS Word, Excel).
- Familiarity with R, Python.
- A commitment to conservation.
- Strong attention to detail.
PREFERRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Experience with land conservation, natural resource management and/or forest management.
- Experience working for a non-profit organization.
- Familiarity with InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, or other design software.
- Work is performed primarily in an office setting.
- Estimated travel – 5%.
COMPENSATION and BENEFITS
This position offers a competitive salary, opportunities to earn performance-based bonus compensation and a highly competitive package of benefits including employer contributions for health care, paid holidays, vacation and personal/sick leave, retirement plan and more.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time, with or without notice.
To learn more about The Conservation Fund, visit https://www.conservationfund.org.
Qualified candidates should email resume and cover letter to: email@example.com.
The Conservation Fund, a Non-Profit Corporation, is an Equal Opportunity Employer who fully and actively supports equal access for all people regardless of Race, Color, Religion, Gender, Age, National Origin, Veteran Status, Disability, Genetic Information or Testing, Family and Medical Leave status, Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity or Expression. The Fund prohibits retaliation against individuals who bring forth any complaint, orally or in writing, to the employer or the government, or against any individuals who assist or practice in the investigation of any complaint, or otherwise oppose discrimination.