Futuro Unidad Hinojosa, a unit of Futuro Media dedicated to producing special projects and investigative journalism is seeking an experienced audio producer/journalist to work as Senior Producer with our Senior Correspondent Maria Hinojosa.
Futuro Unidad Hinojosa (FUH) is a newly launched division dedicated to creating and producing in depth creative works to air on Futuro’s media properties including Latino USA, In The Thick, Futuro Studios, and Latino Rebels, as well as in collaboration with outside media partners. FUH is dedicated to the mission Futuro set out over ten years ago to serve marginalized communities by producing journalism elevating the stories of communities that are ignored or misrepresented in other media.
We will do this by fortifying Futuro’s investigative reporting capacity and reporting to bring forth important stories affecting diverse communities and holding the powerful to account. This new effort to build up investigative journalism within Futuro is inherently about defining investigative on our terms and in challenging historical issues in our communities and within newsrooms. Futuro has a long history of putting forth lived experience in challenging official statements and this new effort will align with that mission.
We are looking for a top-notch audio producer with solid journalism skills to work hand-in-hand with Maria Hinojosa to report on subjects such as (im)migration, criminal justice, technology, the environments, housing, human rights, labor, sexual and reproductive health. This is a chance to become a crucial founding member of this new reporting effort dedicated to investigative reporting and we are looking for a partner in developing the work and the fuller project, so please be ready to jump in and be a part of a collaborative dedicated team.
Our ideal candidate will be enthusiastic about the creative aspects of producing powerful audio projects as well as being a tenacious journalist able to see beyond headlines and has the editorial experience and wherewithal to dig deeper to find new information and angles on the issues facing our communities. This seasoned producer will help identify reporting priorities, approaches to stories alongside FUH’s senior staff, as well as the ability to head out into the field to do reporting and producing reports through to completion and distribution. The reports will be long-form individual or serialized investigative reports.
Given our mission we will highly value candidates that come from the communities we serve and who have exhibited a dedication to reporting with those communities formally or in non-traditional ways. In short, if you have the skills and have a dedication to building something new we want to hear from you.
The offices of Futuro Media Group are located in Harlem, New York City but we will consider candidates based elsewhere.
This is a full time position, inclusive of benefits with a salary range of $70,000-85,000.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Produce long-form, character-driven features audio investigations from inception to distribution
- Generate ideas for coverage
- Work with Senior Correspondent to gather tape and interviews
- Travel as needed solo or while working closely with the Senior Correspondent to do field reporting. *this could be up to 40% of your activities
- Conduct editorial research and gather public records and historical information to add context to reporting projects
- Stay abreast of ongoing news and develop sources within communities, advocacy groups and within governmental organizations to advance reporting
- Develop new ways to engage with communities to find new stories
- Write story pitches, project briefs and scripts
- Write web content and social media as needed
- Coordinate all field reporting travel needs
The ideal candidate will have many, if not all, of the following qualifications:
- Three to five years of experience producing long-form or documentary radio or podcast reports
- Experience with conducting and overseeing field reporting trips domestically and internationally. *if you haven’t done international reporting trips please still apply – we are excited to provide new opportunities
- Experience writing and editing highly creative audio scripts for individual long form reporting projects. Experience with writing serialized reports will be highly regarded, but not required
- Deep knowledge of journalistic ethics overall and particularly in audio production
- Spanish language skills are highly valued
- Significant experience with ProTools or similar digital audio editing platforms
- An ability for developing relationships and sources and awareness of ethics in working with vulnerable people
- Demonstrable experience with public records procurement including from federal, state and local agencies, courts or business filings (*candidates don’t have to be expert in all of these areas but should have high level working knowledge with systems and approaches to gathering public documents)
- A track record for unearthing stories, information and perspectives not commonly known
- A desire to break new ground with reporting projects to advance understanding of issues facing communities
- Experience working with a correspondent and collaboratively reporting on a story
- Commitment to diverse coverage within in terms of sexual orientation, gender, and race and ethnicity
- Ability to think thematically and integrate stories into the larger narrative
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative environment in different stages of the production process
- Experience in data analysis would be a bonus, but not a requirement
- Self-starter and ability to work on several projects at once at varying stages of development
- Ability to prioritize while working on different tasks.
- Experience pitching story ideas and subsequently developing them
- Attention to detail, great organizational skills, and capacity to complete projects in their entirety and on deadline
- Teamwork ethic, great communication skills, and rock-solid reliability
DEADLINE AND APPLICATION PROCESS
Please submit the following:
- a cover letter stating qualifications and why you are interested in this position;
- your resume;
- three (3) work samples (links);
- and three (3) references (*contact info only.)
To apply, please send your application materials via email with the subject “FUH (Senior) Producer Position” to UH_Jobs@futuromediagroup.org
Only the most qualified candidates will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
About The Futuro Media Group
The Futuro Media Group is an independent nonprofit organization producing multimedia journalism that explores and gives a critical voice to the diversity of the American experience. Based in Harlem and founded in 2010 by award-winning journalist Maria Hinojosa, Futuro Media is committed to creating multimedia content for and about the new American mainstream in the service of empowering people to navigate the complexities of an increasingly diverse and connected world.
Futuro Media is a diverse and equal opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without discrimination.