For more than 160 years, The Hanover has been committed to delivering on our promises and being there when it matters the most. We live our values every day, demonstrating we CARE.
Our Engineering team is looking for an Application Engineer to join our growing team in our Worcester Headquarters or remote work location consideration.
The Application Engineer will apply technical knowledge/capabilities and development skills to design and develop efficient application software solutions, based upon business requirements and technical specifications. The Application Engineer ensures thorough unit testing of all new software applications and enhancements to existing software applications.
This is a Full-time, Exempt role.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Interprets technical design and specifications, writes code, and assists in development of new applications and products and enhancements to existing applications and products.
- Performs thorough unit testing to verify the accuracy and quality of all software developed. This may include preparation of sample test data, execution of programs and job streams, and system integration testing.
- Designs or modifies applications to accomplish functions in compliance with the Software Development Life Cycle framework
- Performs all software development functions to accomplish specific application solution requirements
- Solid understanding of software development life cycle processes including requirements gathering, analysis and design, development tools and technologies, release and version control, testing methodologies and deployment management.
- Identifies risks and options and makes recommendations.
- Promotes code and supports setup of multiple test environments.
- Exhibits best practices in source code management software use
- Supports, troubleshoots and debugs coding defects identified during quality assurance and business partner validation.
- Adheres to all quality standards and procedures.
- Collaborates with project team members, including external and offshore partners, during development process.
- Supports preparation and implementation of software releases into the production environment.
- Contributes to project planning, design, and estimating activities.
- Stays current and builds knowledge of multiple programming languages and related development tools.
- Provides timely and accurate project status reporting.
- Builds knowledge of P&C insurance concepts and Hanover application systems.
- Other duties as assigned.
WHAT YOU NEED TO APPLY:
- 3+ years’ experience in Java development
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science
- Initiative, adaptability, and willingness to learn
- Demonstrates solid verbal/written communication, listening, communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail, quality oriented, self-directed, with problem solving ability.
- Eligible to work in the US without requiring sponsorship now or in the future.
Knowledge and experience with several of the following technologies:
- Java Script
- Web Services/REST Service
It’s not just a job, it’s a career, and we are here to support you every step of the way. We want you to be successful and fulfilled. Through on-the-job experiences, personalized coaching and our robust learning and development programs, we encourage you – at every level – to grow and develop.
We offer comprehensive benefits to help you be healthy, build financial security, and balance work and home life. At The Hanover, you’ll enjoy what you do and have the support you need to succeed.
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance
- 401K with a company match
- Tuition reimbursement
- 9 company holidays
- Flexible work arrangements
- On-site medical/wellness center (Worcester only)
“The Hanover values diversity in the workplace and among our customers. The company provides equal opportunity for employment and promotion to all qualified employees and applicants on the basis of experience, training, education, and ability to do the available work without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex/gender, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, ancestry or any other status protected by law.
Furthermore, The Hanover Insurance Group is committed to providing an equal opportunity workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment based on national origin, race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information or any other status protected by law.”
As an equal opportunity employer, Hanover does not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation, as a candidate for employment, please inform The Hanover Talent Acquisition office.
Applicants who are California residents: To see the types of information we may collect from applicants and employees and how we use it, please click here.