For more than 160 years, The Hanover has been committed to delivering on our promises and being there when it matters the most. We live our values every day, demonstrating we CARE.
Our Information Technology department is seeking a Principal Application Engineer to join our growing team in our Worcester, MA Corporate Headquarters, or remote work location.
The Principal Application Engineer will apply technical knowledge, capabilities, and development skills to design and build efficient solutions to enable business strategies. As a key member of the IT organization; engineers work closely with other information technologists to produce high-quality, IT-enabled applications, products and services. Application Engineers are responsible for the overall technical implementation of applications, and frequently interact with internal and external partners, onshore and offshore staff.
This is a Full-time, Exempt role.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU WILL:
- Interprets technical design and requirement specifications and develops code to deliver application functionality, including new products and enhancements to existing applications and products.
- Performs thorough unit testing to verify the accuracy, security and quality of all software developed. This may include preparation of sample test data, execution of programs, and system integration testing.
- Solid understanding of software development life cycle processes including requirements gathering, analysis and design, development tools and technologies, release and version control, testing methodologies and deployment management.
- Identifies risks and mitigations and provides options and recommendations.
- Source code management and code promotion through multiple environments (i.e. Dev, Integration, Test, Prod).
- Support defect lifecycle by triaging and correcting defects identified during quality assurance and business partner validation.
- Adheres to all quality standards and procedures.
- Collaborates with project team members, including external and offshore partners, during development process.
- Supports planning and implementation of software releases into the production environment.
- Contributes to project planning, design, and estimating activities.
- Stays current and builds knowledge of multiple programming languages and related development tools.
- Builds knowledge of P&C insurance concepts and Hanover systems.
WHAT YOU NEED TO APPLY:
- 10+ years’ experience in JAVA development
- Experience designing and developing integration solutions using Integration solutions such as IBM integration Bus (IIB) or IBM ACE (App Connect Enterprise).
- Exposure with other IBM related solutions, such as: App Connect (ACE), IBM WebSphere Service Registry and Repository (WSRR), IBM DataPower, DB2
- API management skills (preferably Data Power or Mulesoft)
- Ability to analyze and solve problems
- Effective communication, organization, and interpersonal skills
- Initiative, adaptability, and willingness to learn
- Strong problem-solving skills
- A self-starter who delivers high quality work and can adapt to new challenges, either on their own or as part of a team
Knowledge and experience with several of the following technologies:
- Java Script
- AngularJS & NodeJs
- XSD Schema
- CI/CD – UrbanCode, Jenkins
- Web Services/REST Service
- J2EE technologies
It’s not just a job, it’s a career, and we are here to support you every step of the way. We want you to be successful and fulfilled. Through on-the-job experiences, personalized coaching and our robust learning and development programs, we encourage you – at every level – to grow and develop.
We offer comprehensive benefits to help you be healthy, build financial security, and balance work and home life. At The Hanover, you’ll enjoy what you do and have the support you need to succeed.
- Medical, dental, vision, life, and disability insurance
- 401K with a company match
- Tuition reimbursement
- 9 company holidays
- Flexible work arrangements
- On-site medical/wellness center (Worcester only)
“The Hanover values diversity in the workplace and among our customers. The company provides equal opportunity for employment and promotion to all qualified employees and applicants on the basis of experience, training, education, and ability to do the available work without regard to race, religion, color, age, sex/gender, sexual orientation, national origin, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information, ancestry or any other status protected by law.
Furthermore, The Hanover Insurance Group is committed to providing an equal opportunity workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment based on national origin, race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, veteran status, genetic information or any other status protected by law.”
As an equal opportunity employer, Hanover does not discriminate against qualified individuals with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation, as a candidate for employment, please inform The Hanover Talent Acquisition office.
Applicants who are California residents: To see the types of information we may collect from applicants and employees and how we use it, please click here.