You are a driven and motivated problem solver ready to pursue meaningful work. You strive to make an impact every day & not only at work, but in your personal life and community too. If that sounds like you, then you’ve landed in the right place.
We’re in the business of helping people achieve amazing things. From opening a small business to buying a car or home to recovering from illness or injury and so much more, we help people protect the things that matter. And you can help us when you join our team of underwriters. They’re at the heart of everything we do. And by joining us, you’ll be on a team known throughout the industry for providing our customers with just the right amount of coverage they need to pursue their unique interests.
Your underwriting career here means collaboration, inclusivity, innovative thinking and so much more. Here, we value self-starters and all ideas are welcome. It’s where opportunities exist to hone your underwriting skills by working with our sales teams, experienced underwriters, and other leaders – and your career path can take any direction you might choose.
As a participant in the Small Commercial Underwriter On-boarding and Risk Education (CORE) training program, you’ll gain critical experience to prepare you for a successful underwriting career at The Hartford. Our 14-week program begins in mid-August and includes self-directed and virtual classroom learning sessions. What’s more, you’ll get on-the-job work experience as well as integrated sales training with support from your mentor and manager to round out your Small Commercial Underwriting experience. After the formal program concludes, you’ll have the knowledge to begin a formal career here, with us behind you every step of the way.
Beyond the 14-week training period you will:
- Work on our small commercial underwriting team supporting small business owners. The underwriter will handle all commercial lines, including Business Owner’s Policy (BOP), Commercial Automobile, and Workers’ Compensation and Umbrella.
- Learn to accurately develop and price individual risks, analyze loss and risk information, and recognize “red flags” and file inconsistencies to write profitable commercial business.
- Partner with assigned sales rep to achieve to achieve profit and growth objectives.
- Develop and maintain relationships with assigned agents to synthesize the value proposition and drive optimal business results in a highly competitive marketplace.
We’ll Be a Good Match if You Have:
- A customer-first mindset, putting our customers at the center of everything you do.
- A passion for making decisions through both analyzing the data and employing critical thinking skills.
- A team spirit and desire to work collaboratively.
- A financial mindset to help make the best decisions.
- Ability to own your work and following through on commitments.
- Ability to decipher and execute within a fluid and changing business environment.
- An understanding of how to build relationships and trust among diverse groups.
- The ability to advance your career into technical OR leadership positions
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred, or equivalent combination of education, training and Insurance experience
- Excellent written and interpersonal communication and presentation skills
- Ability to think analytically about business problems, make recommendations, and propose solutions
- Possession of resilience and an entrepreneurial spirit
- Demonstration of solid time, organizational, and desk management skills
- Goal oriented with a strong desire to deliver outcomes in timely manner
- Acts with a sense of urgency and is responsive to internal and external customer needs
- Strong sales skills with the ability to negotiate and sell all messages including with those that may be difficult
- Challenge the status quo to implement improvement and compete to win
- Demonstrates satisfactory progress during the Training Program and achieve passing scores on all tests, case studies, and foundational underwriting assessments
Equal Opportunity Employer/Females/Minorities/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity or Expression/Religion/Age