The intern will be a team member on an interactive, data-driven journalism product that will either inform our audiences or be used internally to enhance and strengthen Hechinger Report’s investigative and explanatory reporting on education. The product that is produced in this work may also be published by one of our media partners.
Over the 12-week internship, the intern will produce at least one interactive product or app alongside the data visualization and interactives developer, with the support of editors and reporters. The intern will contribute to the project in a way that aligns with their experience and strengths, whether that is digital design, web development, or data management and analysis.
This intern can be based anywhere in the US, reporting to a staffer in NYC. Pay is $650/week. The internship is 12 weeks during the summer, with flexible start and end dates.
- Bachelor’s degree, (many interns come from journalism backgrounds but graduates with computer science and data analysis backgrounds with an interest in journalism invited to apply)
- Proven experience working in collaboration with a larger team
- Knowledge of national education issues
- Enjoys creative problem solving
- Experience in one of the following areas:
- Digital design (such as Adobe XD, Illustrator, Corel etc.)
- Data analysis (such as R, Tableau, Python, etc.)