Summer Associate – 2021 (Program Management)
The Kaizen Company (Kaizen) is an international development consulting firm and an incubator for innovative, scalable solutions that address emerging market challenges and opportunities. We aspire to transform the nature and impact of international development and work to strengthen organizations and institutions through innovative approaches to organizational development, reform, and change. Kaizen is currently seeking undergraduate and graduate students to join our dynamic team as Associates (interns) for Summer 2021. Associates are given the opportunity to meaningfully contribute to all aspects of Kaizen’s work and seamlessly integrate in our collegial culture. Kaizen Associates are important members of our teams with room to grow in an initiative-driven workspace.
This internship is best suited for undergraduate or graduate students interested in entering the field of international development. The internship comes with a modest stipend. It is expected that the selected Associate will work a minimum of 40 hours per week in the Summer, beginning on or about May 24th through the end of August. Associates will have the opportunity to work remotely, from any virtual location with reliable internet.
· Engage with approaches to complex international development issues.
· Provide administrative, financial, and logistical support to Kaizen’s USAID and Department of State-funded programs.
· Gain practical understandings of business development processes through participation in many aspects of proposal development for new projects, including recruitment, compliance management, technical project design, and budgeting.
· Contribute to the research and development of new and innovative service offerings.
· Learn the basic principles of donor project management through on-the-job and formal training related to Kaizen’s contracts funded by USAID, the Department of State, and other clients.
· Apply and test strategic thinking to the development of systems and processes in a rapidly growing company.
· Support corporate strategic objectives and participate in thematic working groups.
· Support monthly invoicing and documentation, adhering to FAR, AIDAR, and company standards.
· Review and copyedit project deliverables to ensure suitability for submission to the client.
· Support recruitment efforts, including short listing, screening, and evaluating candidates for hire.
· Participate, and sometimes lead, meetings with project teams.
· Support and ensure compliance of procurement, including drafting Requests for Proposal, consultant agreements, and other contracts.
The ideal candidate:
· Is currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program (required).
· Is an entrepreneurial self-starter and works well without excessive supervision.
· Has previous professional experience, ideally working in consulting, management, organizational reform, research, or international development.
· Is interested in entering the field of international development.
· Has strong research skills.
· Has strong attention to detail.
· Can prioritize and manage competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
· Demonstrates excellent written and oral communication skills.
If you are interested in this position and have most or all of the desired qualifications, please submit a CV, a cover letter explaining key qualifications and availability, and the names and contact information for 3 references (professional and/or academic).