Deadline to apply: March 12, 2021
Graphic Design Internship
Henry L. Stimson Center, a nonpartisan public policy research institute committed to finding and promoting practical and innovative solutions to national and international security challenges, seeks an energetic and creative individual to assist with the daily operations in Stimson’s Communications Department.
Stimson offers unique internship opportunities based on the values of education, participation, and hands-on practical knowledge. Based on the Center’s commitment to professional development, expectations for interns are high. In return, interns can expect a challenging environment that will prepare them for full-time employment in a professional setting. Interns will gain experience with nonprofit communications, as well as an opportunity to interact with all of Stimson’s programs, attend internal meetings, go to local think tank events and participate in professional development workshops.
Responsibilities of the Graphic Design intern include:
- Design a variety of materials including social media graphics, infographics, email templates, one-pagers, charts and graphs, GIFs, and data visualizations in alignment with Stimson branding guidelines
- Prepare, design and mock up files in various sizes for print, digital and web
- Create work that demonstrates a strong sense of typography, layout and composition
- Think creatively and share ideas in creative brainstorms and meetings with programs
- Maintain brand consistency across platforms
- Update existing design guidance and templates as necessary
- Transition between multiple projects while managing deadlines efficiently
- Conduct competitive analysis and design research for the Communications Department
- Other duties as assigned
- Students majoring in graphic design, communication design, visual communications, multimedia journalism, or art with an interest in international relations or foreign policy
- Fluency in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop knowledge of Adobe Premiere and AfterEffects as well as any video and web design skills are a plus
- A strong visual eye and understanding of design principles and typography
- Ability to follow style guides, instructions, and critique feedback
- Familiarity with UX / UI design
- Working understanding of social media platforms: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn
- Positive attitude and desire for an internship that is challenging and professional in nature
- Must be willing to submit a portfolio of work samples via PDF or provide a link to preview the portfolio
This is an unpaid internship. Full time or part time available – hours can be flexible for the right candidate.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and work samples or link to portfolio in your application.