Deadline to apply: February 26, 2021
Summer 2021 Strategic Trade Management Initiative Internship
Strategic Trade Management Initiative Internship
The Trade, Technology and Security TTS program at Stimson now offers an internship for the Strategic Trade Management Initiative STMI. This virtual internship will focus on research regarding strategic trade export control and proliferation-related sanctions issues. STMI provides hands on training and outreach to governments and industry worldwide, on technical and policy issues related to implementation of UNSC Resolution 1540 and enforcement of various UN, US and EU sanctions for proliferation, terrorism, and financing of terrorism/proliferation.
Specific responsibilities can include:
- Provide research assistance for program staff on special projects and initiatives
- Conduct issue and media tracking of developments regarding Resolution 1540, and about UN and US sanctions North Korea, Iran, Russia, Syria etc
- Attend and report on seminars and conferences hosted by Stimson and by others
- Write memos on key issues and take notes during internal meetings
- Assist in the coordination of program events
- Participation in Stimson meetings and group activities with other interns and junior staff
Qualifications for a strong candidate include the following:
- Academic background in international security and/or nonproliferation
- Attention to detail and commitment to high-quality work in both research and administrative tasks
- Excellent analytical and research capabilities
- Self-motivated, with time-management skills
- Practical experience with statistical and visualization software and tele-conferencing platforms would be a plus.
- We welcome applications from undergraduate or graduate candidates.
- Applicants must be able to commit to 40 hours per week. Less than 40 hours per week would be acceptable if you are available for some extra hours during the semester – if needed for event-organization activities. [Please mention hours availability in your cover letter]
- Preference may be given to those available for a minimum of 16 weeks.
- Please submit your resume, cover letter, and a short writing sample as a PDF document for full consideration.
- If short-listed, a 30-minute phone/zoom interview [audio only] with the STMI Director and the Research Associate will be conducted.
To apply: Please send documents to STMI Director at firstname.lastname@example.org as well as upload these to ApplicantPro website. Deadline for submission: February 26, 2021.