Position: Program & Communications Associate
The University Network for Human Rights seeks highly motivated candidates to join its dynamic and fast-growing team. The Program & Communications Associate will collaborate closely with a small team of human rights practitioners to advance the University Network’s mission while developing its institutional profile. The position may be remote, in-person, or a combination of both. The preferred start date for this position is July or August 2021.
Successful candidates will have a strong academic background, solid research experience, exceptional writing and communication skills, experience with social and conventional media, excellent interpersonal skills, and a demonstrable commitment to human rights and social justice.
This role will have broad responsibilities involving communications, fundraising and development, and day-to-day program management. The position is well suited for entry-level or early-career professionals, though applicants at any stage of their professional careers will be equally considered.
· Assist in the design, planning, and execution of a diverse portfolio of programs that seek to engage the next generation of advocates through supervised human rights projects.
· Work collaboratively with human rights practitioners to design and implement media strategies in traditional and social media.
· Maintain the University Network’s websites, blogs, and press archives.
· Support the Executive Director in prospect research, grant writing, and other long-term development initiatives.
· Provide substantive and administrative support (for example, bookings, reimbursements, contact list management, scheduling, filing, proofreading, and so on).
Successful applicants will hold a bachelor’s degree or equivalent and have 0-3 years of work experience. They will have demonstrated a commitment to human rights, social justice, and/or community-based advocacy. They will have full command of the English language and navigate standard software with ease, e.g., Microsoft Office, Google Workspace, and social media platforms.
Successful applicants will have many, though possibly not all, of the following qualifications:
· Fluency in languages other than English (Spanish strongly preferred)
· Excellent writing abilities
· Exceptionally strong attention to detail
· Understanding of and experience with using social media for campaigning/advocacy
· Nonprofit experience, especially with program management, fundraising and development, and/or communications and social media
· Technical experience, including but not limited to: Squarespace; InDesign/Canva; Photoshop; Lightroom; iMovie (or equivalent); statistical packages (e.g. R); QuickBooks
About the University Network for Human Rights:
The University Network for Human Rights facilitates supervised undergraduate engagement in the practice of human rights at colleges and universities in the United States and across the globe. We partner with advocacy organizations and communities affected or threatened by abusive state, corporate, or private conduct to advance human rights at home and abroad; train the next generation in interdisciplinary human rights protection and advocacy; and collaborate with academics and human rights practitioners in other parts of the world to foster the creation of practical, interdisciplinary programs in human rights.
Location and Structure:
The University Network is based in Middletown, Connecticut, on the campus of Wesleyan University. The organization, founded in 2018, has a growing and dynamic staff. The Program & Communications Associate may work closely with the Executive Director, researchers, administrative staff, members of the advisory board, interns, and students.
$37,500 – $45,000, plus benefits (Vacation Days, Sick Days, Religious Holidays, Company Holidays, and the option for Health Care Coverage).
Please email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use subject line: Associate Application 2021. Your cover letter should speak to your relevant skills and experience, especially those that do not appear on your resume. Finalists should be prepared to provide contact information for references. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Questions? Email josh[at]humanrightsnetwork[dot]org
THE UNIVERSITY NETWORK FOR HUMAN RIGHTS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER AND ACTIVELY RECRUITS PEOPLE OF COLOR, PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES, LGBTQI AND GENDER NON-CONFORMING PEOPLE, AND WOMEN.