Thinktown America, the American-based division of Thinktown Education, is seeking a motivated Academic Advisor (Economics Track) to work full-time in our New York office (Currently we are working from home through December 2021). The responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Reading and Writing Subjects (RWS) product:
· Leads one-on-one or small group lessons that cater to the needs and goals of students; reviews students’ classroom, curricula topics and assignments
· Provides educational guidance and assistance for students by planning schedules, recommending courses, and determining personalized education solutions for different types of students
· Assists students with homework, projects, test preparation, papers, academic research and other academic tasks related to Economics subject, such as the Internal Assessment (IA), Theory of Knowledge (TOK), Extended Essay (EE) from the International Baccalaureate (IB) curriculum
· Recommends Economic-related reading materials, Economic news, and Economics webinars from think tanks and international organizations to students in a regular basis
· Conducts practice tests to track progress, identify areas of improvement and help set goals for exam preparation
· Develops and distributes teaching materials to supplement classroom lessons, including PowerPoint, study guides, and handout
· Provides students positive and constructive feedback regularly and offers feedback on progress to students’ parents and other where appropriate
Academic Competitions and Events (ACE) product:
· Economic Competitions Coaching: coach students for National Economics Challenge (NEC) and International Economics Olympiad (IEO), including but not limited to researching and distributing related academic materials, organizing mock tests for students, brainstorming with students for group projects, editing and promoting final presentation slides, offering guidance about presentation skills.
· Summer School Application Subject Assistance: Recommends appropriate Economics summer school program for students and facilitates the application process
· Personal Subject-related Extracurriculum Planning: customize competition schedules, recommends appropriate Economics-related competition and coaches for students based on students’ capabilities and willingness. Assists in travel arrangements and keep students and families updated regarding competitions or other events in a timely manner
· Communicates with customers and supports their Economics personal education needs
· Cooperates with Economics tutors, Economics product manager and other academic advisors based on work needs
· Collaborates with Personal Planning Team to provide contents and materials required for product marketing
· Assists product manager and academic research desk as needed
Current employee benefits and perks include, but are not limited to:
· Competitive medical, vision, and dental insurance packages
· Commuter benefits plus supplemental insurance plans
· Flexible working hours, five sick days, and two weeks of paid vacation
· Fun team-bonding activities and events
· Potential travel opportunities to Chinese offices
· Work Visa sponsorship for ideal candidates
· Fluency in Mandarin and English (written, spoken, and reading)
· A minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Economics or related fields
· A fast learner and a problem solver
· Basic knowledge of or the willingness to learn project management and strategy
· Experience with or interest in working with a multicultural team that’s spread out across various time zones
· Strong organizational and analytical skills, and can work multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
· Exceptional communication skills and social awareness
· You don’t need your hand held as you work — you’re self-motivated, well organized, and you have the analytical skills that allow you to make difficult decisions thoughtfully
· You love to collaborate and don’t view any task as “too small”
· You take pride in what you do
· Master’s degree in Economics or related fields
· Personal experience / teaching experience with Economics competition is preferred
Anticipated start date: Immediate/Open to 2020 and 2021 graduates
Opened in 2009, THINKTOWN Education is an international organization that provides one-stop education solutions for students in grades 6-12. We specialized in the services like test preparation, academic improvement, and holistic educational development and consulting, particularly for students who are currently studying or planning to study at institutions of higher education in the United States. Over the past ten years we have served over 22,000 students and their families in more than 2,200 schools worldwide.
Thinktown’s Multi-Role System: Background and Company Culture
With two headquarters in New York City and Hangzhou, and three satellite offices in Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen, Thinktown now has more than 600 full-time employees globally; about 30 of them locate in New York. Given that Thinktown is still in a start-up period in the US and is growing rapidly, we are expecting every newly join employee to take multiple roles and develop all-round capabilities, while at the same time offering them more opportunities and choices for their career development and help them become future leaders in the company and the industry.
This Multi-Role System is also a product of our highly collaborative Company Culture. At Thinktown, we view our team as a soccer team and everyone acts as a team player, our success is based on everyone’s responsibility for their own part and also the willingness to share with and help other team members.
Thinktown’s Multi-Role System: Overview
As a Personal Education Advisor, you will focus on a particular track as indicated in the job posting title, at the same time, you will also act as one or more of these 15 roles as described below, according to personal conditions and company needs. Among these roles, Sales, Supervisor, CAE, CPS, Global Event Coordinator, Content Strategy Specialist, Essay Management Coordinator and Arts Management Coordinator require Mandarin Proficiency; CAE, PEA and Essay Management Coordinator are not open to new employees.
1.ES: Edit application essays and school academic essays with students
2.BS: Brainstorm application essays and school academic essays with students
3.Sales: Research and prepare materials for sales pitches to students and their parents, provide students and their parents with consultancy session and sell thinktown products
4.Tutor: Conduct lectures and training sessions either online or in person
5.Supervisor: Course arrangement and follow-up
6.Consulting Associate of Education (CAE): Provide high level college application and career planning counseling to students which includes: (1) School and major selection, daily communication and follow-up with students and parents, phased application material collection and collation (2) Course selection guidance (3) English-test planning and counseling (4) Academic competition planning and counseling (5) Extracurricular activities design, planning and follow up
7.Curriculum Practice Specialist (CPS): Provide high and middle level college application and career planning counseling to students which includes: (1) School and major selection, daily communication and follow-up with students and parents, phased application material collection and collation, application status follow-up, application tables fill-in, visa guidance (2) Course selection guidance (3) English-test planning and counseling, English-writing tutoring, mock interview (4) Academic competition planning and counseling (5) Extracurricular activities design, planning and follow up (6) Information research, students’ information collection and collation
8.Personal Education Advisor (PEA): Provide top-level planning of educational goals, family education counseling, youth mental health counseling and American society and culture consulting
9.Academic Advisor: Supervise in advising subject related products, provide educational guidance and assistance for students by planning schedules, recommending courses, and determining personalized education solutions, assists students with homework, projects, test preparation, papers, academic research and academic writing, provides subject competition and event consultation.
10.Competition Mentor: Supervise in coaching subject related competitions, provide subject competitions and events coach, sets up competition teams, and formulates competition strategies
11.Instructional Designer: Design client-tailored education curricula and programs, provide professional consultations to prospective clients, work with other Instructional Designers and Product Managers to define the scope of learning experiences, clarify learning objectives, timelines, and projected outcomes.
12.Business Product Manager (BPM): Support one or part of an educational product, which may involve conducting market research, writing product handbook, coordinating strategies, monitoring project progress and collecting regular product feedback
13.Global Event Coordinator: Help coordinate both internal and external events; Support building and adhering to an event budget to avoid project overruns; Coordinate and maintain external relationships with students, parents, and event partners
14.Content Strategy Specialist: Co-manage Thinktown’s media accounts and platforms (Wechat, Facebook, Offical website) and optimize content, plan and write for account articles especially for Wechat; Design marketing content for our main products
15.Essay Management Coordinator: Ensure the quality of application essays and relevant documents through our online essay platform (Help improve the platform if needed); facilitate the communication between different parties (clients, consultants, and editing specialists) regarding essay quality
Thinktown’s Multi-Role System: Example
Employee A is in Business Product Associate track, 70% of his time is spent on a specific education product development which is “1V2 VIP online course”, as he is also interested in BS and CPS role, he also does brainstorm with students for 20% of his time and provides college application and career planning counseling to students for 10% of his time.
To apply for this position, please click “Apply” and fill out the required information to complete your application. Please indicate your preferred roles in the application form.
Thinktown America is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive and supportive environment for all employees.
（Latest Update: September 9 2021）
Academic Advisor (Art History Track)
Academic Advisor (Business Track)
Academic Advisor (Biology Track)
Academic Advisor (Chemistry Track)
Academic Advisor (English Track)
Academic Advisor (Economics Track)
Academic Advisor (Fine Arts Track)
Academic Advisor (History Track)
Academic Advisor (Math Track)
Academic Advisor (Writing Track)
Academic Advisor (Physics Track)