Operations Management Development Division 2023 Co-op
Collaborative. Respectful. A place to dream and do. These are just a few words that describe what life is like at Toyota. As one of the world’s most admired brands, Toyota is growing and leading the future of mobility through innovative, high-quality solutions designed to enhance lives and delight those we serve. We’re looking for diverse, talented students who want to grow and challenge what’s possible with us.
ABOUT THE PROGRAM
We are seeking Spring & Summer 2023 co-ops to work in our Operations Management Development Division (OMDD) at our Headquarters located in Plano, TX (near Dallas). Willingness and ability to travel is a must for this position which requires frequent travel within the United States.
OMDD is looking for self-driven, innovative students to join our organization in supporting Toyota’s North American Operations with continuous improvement efforts. OMDD is the very same department that Taiichi Ohno created to carry out his vision of the world-renowned Toyota Production System (TPS).
Co-ops have the opportunity to work jointly with the North American Manufacturing Centers (NAMCs) or suppliers because the kaizen cycle is endless! This role interfaces with top management and executives at Toyota in pursuit of a common goal: being better than we were yesterday. If you have a passion for continuous improvement, then we want to hear from you!
In this role you will work side-by-side with project teams on the shop floor to develop your own Toyota Production Systems (TPS) skill through actively practicing Genchi Genbutsu (go and see), identifying gaps for improvement, and participating in activity to meet challenging targets. As your TPS toolbox grows, you will develop logical strategies, meet tight project schedules, and produce results, all while adhering to the basic principles of TPS.
As an OMDD Co-op you can expect to support company objectives to reduce cost and lead time, specifically by detecting and eliminating waste. This supports our Customer First mentality. You will find productivity improvements throughout the entire supply chain while energetically learning and applying TPS basic-thinking and tools. Doing so, you will visualize problems, exercise practical problem-solving, and engage in the kaizen cycle, all in an effort to expand our capability and promote the transfer of knowledge to Toyota’s affiliate and project companies across North America.
What you’ll be doing
- Analyze the shop floor through Genchi Genbutsu.
- Learn and utilize TPS tools to visualize waste.
- Set challenging targets that align with NA cost competitiveness.
- Develop strategies, as well as, coordinating, participating in, Kaizen activities.
- Carry-out exciting project assignments to achieve NA targets.
- Develop TPS basic-thinking and transfer to project teams, participants, etc.
- Utilize activity reflection summaries as development opportunities to share TPS with others.
- Currently enrolled in a full-time, accredited Bachelor’s degree program in Engineering or similar technical field
- Must be 18 years of age or older
· Have lawful unlimited authorization to work in the U.S. without sponsorship
· Seeking sophomores and above with a cumulative GPA of 2.7 or higher
· Must demonstrate a genuine interest in and willingness to work in the automotive / mobility industry post-graduation
· Must have reliable transportation