PARTNER, SCHOOL DESIGN SERVICES
Start Date: Immediate — anytime between now and July 12, 2021
Role Type: Full time
Title: Partner, School Design Services
Location/ Travel: Flexible; willingness to travel approximately twice monthly to Texas for coaching schools (~1-3 days/trip)
Who We Are:
Transcend supports communities to create and spread extraordinary, equitable learning environments.
We fulfill this mission by focusing on two key priorities:
- Supporting communities to have extraordinary and equitable school designs: We partner with communities to design, implement, and spread innovative schools and school model components; and facilitate sharing between schools/communities
- Building an ecosystem that enables innovation: To create broader ecosystem conditions that positively impact communities on design journeys, by growing actors’ proximity to insights, voices, and evidence from work with communities and by learning from their perspectives and experiences.
Transcend is in its second year (of a likely 2 to 3 year project) to support 22 elementary and middle schools in Texas to redesign their schools towards more innovative, effective models. In Year 1, Transcend partnered with schools to develop new school blueprints, focusing specifically on five key strategies: blending learning, integrating high-quality instructional materials, utilizing high-impact tutoring, providing whole-child supports, and using an extended day/year. These blueprints are on the path towards many of the key leaps we believe are critical to creating more equitable, extraordinary learning environments for all children.
We are now entering our second year of this project: implementing these new blueprints! The partner will play a critical role in coaching and supporting school communities in implementing their new designs in the 2021-2022 school year.
Partners will support schools to:
- Roll out student experiences aligned with their implementation plans
- Strengthen the conditions needed for innovation and implementation
- Run pilots to learn what’s working/ not working on their implementation plans
- Adjust the implementation plans and school blueprints based on what they are learning
The Partner will primarily work on a Texas Portfolio team during the first year. Depending on portfolio needs, the Partner’s portfolio may change beyond the first year.
In Year 1, Partners will likely coach ~3 schools in TX; through in-person coaching sessions (monthly or twice monthly), weekly virtual coaching, and in-person workshops (likely 2-4x/yr).
Who You Are:
A current or former principal who believes deeply in the power of education to transform lives. You are relationship-driven in your work and energized by coaching others to achieve excellent outcomes for students. You also deeply understand the urgency and challenges associated with schools that the Texas Education Agency has identified as “Improvement Required.” You love coaching teachers and leaders to implement new practices, and you are equally excited about partnering with school and community stakeholders to bring ambitious new school designs to life.
In this role, you will get to:
- Build Content: Develop the teams’ capacity to design and build school schedules, curriculum, instructional practices, PD, etc., in alignment with their school blueprints, research, and best practice
- Facilitate rigorous research and development (R&D): Help teams pilot their innovations throughout the year: from setting up effective pilot structures, implementing pilots, and summarizing their learning to inform their overall design and next steps
- Strategize and Plan: Help teams effectively plan their short and long-term approaches to implement their new school designs
- Coach: Advance the school team’s conditions for change, and help teams engage the people to execute the innovation
And in doing so, leverage your:
- Commitment to Transcend’s mission of transforming education, with a passion for creating extraordinary and equitable learning environments
- Commitment to advancing diversity, equity, inclusion, and quality learning experiences for all kids
- Ability to effectively manage relationships and communications with a diverse range of stakeholders, including Transcend teammates, school/project team members, research partners, etc
- Desire to live into Transcend’s core values, and be an awesome and supportive teammate
- Experience with Texas context; including implementing the TEKS and/or administering STAAR and/or using the Texas Accountability System [Helpful, but not required]
Transcend is an equal opportunity employer. We are building a diverse team that values diversity, equity, and inclusion, and we encourage candidates from historically under-represented groups to apply.