Tufts Technology Services (TTS) is a university-wide service organization dedicated to the strategic planning, implementation, and support of technology products and services that anticipate and meet the academic, research, and business needs of the Tufts community. TTS offers technical leadership and services to our customers with a focus on providing innovative solutions, delivering exceptional customer service, and creating a reliable infrastructure that demonstrates value to the students, faculty, staff, and alumni of Tufts University. TTS works in partnership with schools, business units, and other academic support organizations to provide campus-wide IT services in the areas of academic and research technology, enterprise application systems and services, networking and telecommunications, information security, data center operations, web services, classroom and computer lab technology support, and user support, training and outreach.
The Research Computing (RC) team is looking to hire a student for our entry-level Research Computing Student Specialist I position. Under the guidance, training and clear instructions from the HPC Specialist and Sr. Data Consult, the RC Student will performs duties similar to an event coordinator, web-content, documentation and help-desk specialist. S/he will also take a part in coordinating Research Technology (RT) workshops and other events. S/he will assist with content management on the new RT website. The key to this position’s success is to quickly absorb Research Technology procedures and help improve the workflow through updates of documents and procedures which are used in supporting the research community across 12 schools and 4 campuses (https://www.tufts.edu/schools).
Applicants should be an innovative, tech savvy problem-solver who is detail oriented, organized and have excellent oral and written communication skills. Most importantly, s/he should have a strong commitment to following instructions, as well as being timely and responsive when it comes to tasks assigned. We welcome all applicants from a variety of backgrounds, fields and interests. Feel free to apply, now.
- Assist users with basic cluster and storage questions.
- Assist with content management on the new RT website (i.e. updating/creating new pages, etc.)
- Develop and update new and existing documents, FAQs, help pages, and marketing materials (newsletters, poster, etc.).
- Assist with workshop/events coordination (i.e. room and AV reservations, posting, follow-ups, chat moderator, etc.)
- Operations work (priority)
- work on incoming ticket and consult on escalation path
- After solid training
- handle cluster account creation
- cluster storage access
- research storage request
- storage quota management
- Project based
- HPC Documentation
- Updating and formatting HPC user guides
- Test and migrate old HPC info from wiki
- Update RT/HPC website
- Assist Sr. Data Consultant with data management related projects
- i.e clean up of daily report for Cluster storage and Rstore Drive
- Basic computer knowledge/usage of Macs or Windows
- Ability to efficiently manage time, multi-task as needed, and effectively navigate shifting priorities
- Flexibility and adaptability to work effectively as a member of a team as well an ability to work independently
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; the ability to work effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization
- Attention to detail and commitment to quality
- Customer focus
- Creativity and entrepreneurial thinking; capacity to make innovative use of knowledge, information and opportunities
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Must be able to handle sensitive situations and data and maintain utmost privacy and confidentiality
- Familiarity with available research technologies at Tufts
- Knowledge of web fundamentals
- Having been given a set of resources to draw from, the ability and desire to learn independently
- Strong sense of curiosity and some ability to analyze data to answer questions