Do you love writing? Are you the person your friends ask to read their papers for class? Want to learn strategies for helping peers with their writing and join a community of writers? Apply to be a writing fellow! We are now hiring for Fall 2021.
Writing Fellows are Tufts’ undergraduate peer writing tutors. They are assigned to specific courses and work with the same 10 – 12 students on drafts for 2 – 3 writing assignments throughout the semester. Writing fellows read drafts of papers before meeting with student writers to discuss their paper, writing process, and goals, asking questions to help them refine their ideas and make decisions about revising their papers. Our program emphasizes collaboration and process as crucial aspects of becoming a more engaged writer.
Compensation and Time Commitment:
Writing fellows are paid a stipend of $650 per semester, with an automatic pay increase and opportunities for additional paid responsibilities after the first year.
Hours vary and are flexible but concentrated around the paper deadlines for the assigned courses. Writing fellows should expect to work approximately 40 hours over the course of the semester, which includes individual appointments with students, preparation for those appointments, and ongoing training meetings. Writing fellows are usually busiest around midterms and finals.
Writing Fellows participate in a week-long intensive orientation the week before classes and take an Ex-College class their first semester as writing fellows:
- New Writing Fellow Orientation: Tues, August 31, 2021 – Sat, September 4, 2021
- Fall 2021 Writing Fellowship Seminar (Ex-College Course, 3 SHUs, graded P/F): Thursdays, 4:30pm – 7:00 pm
- Ongoing training meetings
First-year, sophomore, and junior undergraduates from any major (and undeclared students) can apply to be a writing fellow. We strongly encourage applications from students who identify as Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Asian, multiracial, or POC, as well as from students from other underrepresented groups and students who are bilingual/multilingual.
You might want to apply if the following applies to you:
- You enjoy writing and language and want to grow as a writer and communicator yourself
- You enjoy reading other people’s papers and are excited about the opportunity to work with your peers on their writing
- You understand the challenges and difficulties of writing, have struggled yourself, and want to support others
- You are willing to learn more about and commit to an anti-racist praxis
- You are a good listener who enjoys hearing other’s stories and having meaningful conversations
- You are curious about what other people are studying and are excited by your own learning and how others learn
- You are excited to join a community of other Tufts students with these interests
You will need a resume, writing samples, and a recommendation from Tufts faculty or staff. For full details about the position and application process, links to the application and recommendation portals, and links to the info sessions, visit our website.
Attend an info session to meet current writing fellows and learn more!
· Friday, Feb 12 at 2pm
· Wed, Feb 17 at 12pm
· Thurs, Feb 18 at 5pm