At TuSimple, our Vehicle Control Integration team is an important part of creating our Autonomous Truck system. As a Vehicle Control Engineer Intern, you will be responsible for working on the communication interface between our autonomous system and vehicle controls. Focusing on algorithm development and features of dynamic controls, you will be a key part of helping TuSimple achieve full L4 vehicle autonomy.
- Work across engineering teams to understand and implement requirements for vehicle control.
- Develop features and functions for autonomous vehicle control systems.
- Implement and develop algorithms using C++, MATLAB/Simulink, and other related programming languages.
- Follow ISO26262 and FMEA design processes.
- Perform unit tests for developing software.
- Verify and validate the developing software before final software integration.
- Support new additions to the autonomous truck systems including software, firmware, and hardware.
Experience & Skills Required
- Enrolled in an MS program in Automotive/Electrical/Mechanical Engineering with a focus on automotive controls.
- Solid understanding of automotive systems includes OBD II systems, brake components, tires, electrical systems, steering systems, state safety inspections, engine and driveline components, etc.
- Proficiency in MATLAB/Simulink/Stateflow and C++ or Python is required.
- Hands-on experience with automotive control systems in professional or academic projects.
- Understanding and prior use of automotive communication protocols such as CAN network.
- Has CAN tool experiences such as Vector CAN tool, CANalyzer, CANape, etc.
- Has troubleshooting experience for complex engineering systems.
- Has experience with multimeters, oscilloscopes, etc.
- Ability to work safely in a fast-paced environment.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Have experience competing in student automotive competitions such as EcoCAR, Formula SAE.
- Have 2+ years of industry experience in Vehicle Control, Autonomous Driving, and/or Robotics.
- Experience in classical and modern control theory such as Model Predictive Control, Pure Pursuit, Envelope Control, etc.
- Experience in Robot Operating System (ROS), ISO26262, FMEA, AUTOSAR, OSEK, or BroadR-Reach.
- Experience in software tests (MIL/SIL/PIL/HIL, Static/Dynamic, black box/white box/grey box).
- Work with world-class AI Engineers
- Shape the landscape of autonomous driving
- Work on significantly important and mission-critical projects
- Extensive individual support through TuSimple’s Mentorship Program
- Competitive salary
- High full-time employment return rates after completion of Internship Program
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Monthly team building budget
- Onsite Perks (These perks will only be applicable if the internship is onsite)
- Breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served every day
- Full kitchens on every floor with unlimited snacks, drinks, special treats, fruits, meals, and more