Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This certified position assists our Ophthalmologists in the provision of excellent care. Our team of Certified Ophthalmic Technicians will help train you towards technician certification in the field if desired. Come join our team of professionals!
UNC Health offers comprehensive benefits packages, which include generous PTO accrual, health, dental and vision insurance, academic assistance and much more. Explore our benefits here: https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/benefits
1. Patient Assessment – Make introductions and establish rapport with the patients.Initiate patient evaluation, documenting the chief complaint, history of present illness, review of systems, and all pertinent ocular findings accurately and in accordance with compliance guidelines.
2. Patient Testing – Independently performs elements of comprehensive exam such as visual acuity using various methods such as Snellen, Tumbling Es, Allen Pictures, etc., Neutralizes glasses Rx with auto-lensometer or manual method and transpose between minus and plus cylinder format, Measure intraocular pressure using applanation, tonopen or I-Care method, measure, compare and evaluate pupillary responses, ocular motility to include versions and ductions, cover tests, stereo acuity and nystagmus, visual fields including confrontation, automated perimetry and Amsler Grid method, color vision, auto-refraction, manifest refraction, Schirmers tear testing, inflammadry and osmolarity testing, glare testing, keratometry readings (automated or manual) and corneal pachymetry.
3. Patient Set Up – Sets up for lasers, minor surgical procedures, and injections using sterile technique where applicable. Educate patients on procedures, testing, systemic diseases and their ocular manifestations, instruct on proper medication use and treatments, how to apply eye dressings, etc. May take vital signs such as blood pressure or glucose testing or perform CPR in emergency situations.
4. Equipment Maintenance – Cleans and calibrates ophthalmic instruments and equipment, replaces bulbs and batteries, monitors clinic medical and laboratory supplies and reports shortages to facilities manager to be reordered. Cleans and sterilizes instruments according to UNC policy. Cleans and stocks exam rooms and ancillary testing rooms when needed. Maintains calibration of ophthalmic instruments and reports malfunctioning equipment to facilities manager for prompt repair.
5. Special Testing – With limited supervision, may perform special testing such as OCT, Fundus Photography, Fluorescein Angiography and Topography, Axial Length measurements using IOL Master or Immersion method as directed by the physician or in compliance with predetermined protocols.
6. Triage – May function in a triage capacity to obtain patient complaint and history to identify the call as emergent, urgent or routine. Knowledge of ocular conditions/signs/symptoms is needed. Excellent communication skills are a must. Will respond to patient phone calls, document calls into medical record, schedule emergent appointments, enter medication refill requests, and assist with completion of patient forms including, but not limited to, DMV forms and FMLA documentation.
7. Other – Other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED
- Certification at the Technician level by the Joint Commission of Allied Health Personnel in Ophthalmology.
Professional Experience Requirements:
- If graduation from an accredited CoA-OMP or CMA (Canadian Medical Association) training program: One (1) year of clinical experience.
- If a High School diploma or GED: Three (3) years of clinical experience with direct patient care.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Faculty Physicians
Organization Unit: UNC Eye Carolina Crossing
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No