*This position qualifies for our UNC Rex Incentive Program, which includes up to $20,000 commitment incentive ($5,000 at time of hire) or up to $25,000 tuition loan forgiveness. In addition, this position is also eligible for up to $10,000 in relocation assistance (based on location) and our employee referral program. Learn more about our UNC Rex Incentive Program here: https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/unc-rex-incentive-program
Become part of an inclusive organization with over 30,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
The cardiovascular surgical stepdown unit is located on the sixth floor of the North Carolina Heart and Vascular hospital located on Blue Ridge Road in Raleigh, NC. Recent expansion from 24 to a 32-bed unit to accommodate volume increases due to our tertiary specialization.
6 HV stepdown specializes in the care of the cardiac surgical patient, vascular surgical patient, structural heart patient, and cardiac medical patient with quality metrics that support Magnet designation.
The design of 6 HV allows for quick access to resources within each workstation. The rooms are all equipped, GE bedside monitors and wall mounted computers for easy access electronic charts, and ceiling lift rails in each room.
Support –quick access to cardiac surgery APP’s, floor assigned pharmacists, multidisciplinary support through daily rounds, and a consistent case management team that follows surgical patients from surgery to discharge evaluating discharge needs daily. The pharmacy concierge delivery program ensure patients have important medications delivered to the bedside before discharge.
We provide an environment that supports personal and professional growth with opportunities to advance up the clinical ladder and support system for new graduate nurses.
UNC REX Healthcare is proud of the many ways that our efforts to provide excellent patient care, be a good community partner and honor a quality workforce are recognized.
* UNC REX Hospitals was honored as one of the 100 great hospitals in America by Becker’s Hospital.
* UNC REX is nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report
* Earned the first Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Five-Star rating, placing UNC REX in the top 9% of U.S. Hospitals.
* UNC REX is the only hospital in NC to receive straight “A” grades since The Leapfrog Group began a national hospital safety scorecard in 2012, making UNC REX one of only 68 hospitals nationwide to have earned this distinction.
* Business North Carolina ranked UNC REX Healthcare #1 Best Hospital in the state of N.C.
* UNC REX awarded BCBSNC Blue Distinction Specialty Care designation for bariatric surgery, cardiac care, knee & hip replacement, spine surgery and maternity care.
* US News & World Report released its 2017-2018 Best Hospitals rankings. UNC REX was graded as “High Performing” in nine procedures and conditions including Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm Repair, Aortic Valve Surgery, Colon Cancer Surgery, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Heart Bypass Surgery, Heart Failure, Hip Replacement, Knee Replacement and Lung Cancer Surgery.
* Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Home Health Care Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (HHCAHPS) survey star ratings, which measures patients’ experiences with home health agencies, awarded Rex Nursing and Rehabilitation Care Center of Raleigh and Apex a Five-Star rating for overall quality.
* WRAL awarded UNC REX Best Hospital by the Voters’ Choice Awards.
* Magnet designation for the last 16 years.
* Press Ganey Guardian of Excellence award – 2019, 2020.
Provides competent clinical nursing care consistent with professional standards. Reporting and accountable to the Nurse Manager/Director, the Clinical Nurse is responsible for coordinating and delivering patient care utilizing the nursing process in a hospital setting.
1. Education – Participates in identifying and meeting learning needs of self. Attends education programs based on identified learning needs. With assistance, uses patient education materials relevant to patient population. Assesses readiness to learn of the patient/family/caregivers. Assesses developmental level of patient and factors affecting ability to learn.
2. Evaluation of Care – Identifies expected patient outcomes. Seeks guidance as needed in revision of plan of care. Participates in discussion with members of the interdisciplinary team in evaluation of patient care. Communicates relevant information to promote continuity of care.
3. Implementation – Demonstrates competence in care of patients with complex problems, including population-appropriate physical, psychosocial, educational and safety aspects of care. Performs bedside point of care testing as required for patient care plan. Utilizes healthcare organization and nursing standards, policies and procedures in delivery of care. Organizes and prioritizes care according to patient/family needs. Consults with appropriate resources in a timely fashion regarding patients with complex care issues, unusual teaching needs and/or those at high risk for discharge planning.
4. Leadership – With assistance, develops goals to promote professional growth or minimize limitations. Achieves goals and objectives within identified time frame or renegotiates with supervisor. Is knowledgeable about activities which facilitate intra/interdepartmental collaboration. Participates in development and achievement of unit goals and performance improvement activities. Effectively uses communication systems. Participates in promoting cost-effective care. Gives feedback to co-workers. Is aware of public policy and regulatory guidelines affecting the health care environment. Promotes a safe, clean and secure hospital environment for all.
5. Patient Assessment – Recognizes data from complex situations to determine priorities for care. Includes appropriate physical, psychosocial, education and safety needs. Synthesizes assessment data into meaningful whole prior to communication to others. Assesses and anticipates discharge needs of individual patients and families. Develops relationships with families that promote their ability to advocate for the patient and their own needs.
6. Planning – Collaborates with patient/family to prepare or update the plan of care. Makes use of available multidisciplinary resources in planning care. Begins to use full range of communication as a means to convey planning. Identifies and addresses cultural and ethnic issues in planning patient care. Demonstrates ability to prioritize tasks for patients with complex problems.
7. Research – Reads journals that contain studies or articles that may be applicable to practice. Brings ideas and questions to the staff at large for assessment of applicability.
* Graduation from a school of professional nursing.
* If hired after January 6, 2014, must be enrolled within four years of employment, and obtain a Bachelors degree with a major in Nursing or a Masters degree with a major in Nursing within seven years of employment date.
* Licensed to practice as a Registered Nurse in the state of North Carolina.
* Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Provider certification
Professional Experience Requirements:
* One (1) year of nursing experience.
Entity: UNC REX Healthcare
Organization Unit: Rex 6 HV/CV Stepdown
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 36.00
Work Schedule: Variable
Location of Job: US:NC:Raleigh
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No