Become part of an inclusive organization with over 40,000 diverse employees, whose mission is to improve the health and well-being of the unique communities we serve.
This entry level position assists our Ophthalmologists in the provision of excellent care. Our team of Certified Ophthalmic Assistants and Certified Ophthalmic Technicians will help train you towards certification in the field.Come join our team of professionals!
UNC Health offers comprehensive benefits packages, which include generous PTO accrual, health, dental and vision insurance, academic assistance and much more. Explore our benefits here: https://jobs.unchealthcare.org/pages/benefits
1. Clinic Flow – Monitors clinic flow to ensure patients and physicians are in the proper areas. Rooms patients for the physician, opens electronic medical record, and reviews data prior to physician examination to ensure completeness and accuracy. Opens imaging system and ensures all test results are available to be viewed by the physician.
2. Assistance – Scribes physician notes on patient examination at physicians direction using electronic medical record format. Reviews and updates medication list and allergies if appropriate. Provides patient with appropriate educational materials and answers questions. Administers topical medications as ordered by the physician. Instructs the patient in the use of self-testing tools and records test results.
3. Procedure Set Up – Sets up for lasers, and minor surgical procedures, using sterile technique where applicable.
4. Equipment Maintenance – Cleans and stocks exam rooms and ancillary testing rooms when needed. Maintains calibration of ophthalmic instruments and reports malfunctioning equipment to facilities manager for prompt repair.
5. Patient Exam – Make introductions and establish rapport with the patients. Initiate patient evaluation, documenting the chief complaint, history of present illness, review of systems, and all pertinent ocular findings accurately and in accordance with compliance guidelines. Performs entry level exam components such as: visual acuity, visual fields, intraocular pressure with tonopen, automated keratometry, auto-lensometry and auto-refraction under the direct supervision of the ophthalmologist.
6. Triage – May function in a triage capacity to obtain patient complaint and history to identify the call as emergent, urgent, or routine. Knowledge of ocular conditions/signs/symptoms is needed. Excellent communication skills are a must. Will respond to patient phone calls, document calls into medical record, schedule emergent appointments, enter medication refill requests, and assist with completion of patient forms including, but not limited to, DMV forms and FMLA documentation.
7. Other – Other duties as assigned.
- High School diploma or GED
- No licensure or certification required.
Professional Experience Requirements:
- No prior experience required.
Knowledge/Skills/and Abilities Requirements:
Legal Employer: STATE
Entity: UNC Faculty Physicians
Organization Unit: UNC Eye Carolina Crossing
Work Type: Full Time
Standard Hours Per Week: 40.00
Work Schedule: Day Job
Location of Job: US:NC:Chapel Hill
Exempt From Overtime: Exempt: No