We are the Uniters. We bring people together to solve problems. We identify the most pressing issues in our community and we bring together the people we think can solve them. United Way funds agencies that, working together, can address the nuances of complex problems like homelessness or the academic achievement gap. We create programs and initiatives to fill unmet needs. We deploy volunteers and socially responsible companies as the engines of change and the feet on the street, delivering hope to people in need. We raise funding through generous donors who understand that social change can’t happen without it.
REPORTS TO: Manager, Engagement
STATUS: Fully Remote, Temporary, October 1st, 2021 – June 30th, 2022 (Start date is flexible- can be between September 1st and October 1st)
HOURS: 15-30 hours per week. Hours per week are flexible to work around the candidate’s schedule and meet credit requirements.
SALARY: Academic Credit
DIVERSE CANDIDATES ARE STRONGLY URGED TO APPLY
The Engagement Intern functions as a member of the Development staff of United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley. With a team of United Way staff and volunteers, interns support programs and projects that deeply engage donors and volunteers in an effort to scale United Way’s work. This internship position will support the Engagement team with implementing the Guided Reading Volunteer Program in partnership with StudyHall. The candidate will work closely with donors, volunteers, and schools within the community.
Individuals who will thrive in and enjoy this position will possess the following qualities:
- Be a fast learner
- Comfortable with meetings, presentations, and conversations via online platforms (Zoom, Webex, Teams, etc.)
- Strong communication skills (via email, phone, and virtual platforms)
- Positive attitude
- Flexibility and ability to pivot
KEY RESPONSIBILITY AREAS:
- Manage day-to-day responsibilities surrounding Guided Reading Program – Tasks include but are not limited to scheduling sessions, sending calendar invites, collecting volunteer details, updating Andar and processing invoice requests, managing background check process, and other administrative duties.
- Develop training materials for volunteers to help enhance their experience for the Guided Reading Program and navigating study hall.
- Assist with troubleshooting live sessions with volunteers and students/teachers.
- Perform analytics using Excel to track the performance and impact of the program.
- Inform United Way staff of progress, challenges, and opportunities throughout the program.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Understanding of the importance of administrative tasks and willingness to complete those tasks.
- Demonstrated ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office tools, specifically Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Access to a stable and secure internet connection.
- Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Commitment to excellence and to the mission of United Way.
United Way of Massachusetts Bay and Merrimack Valley is committed to hiring individuals who reflect the diversity of the communities it serves.