The U.S. Green Building Council (USGBC) is a nonprofit that established LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design), the most widely used green building program in the world. It is committed to a sustainable, prosperous future through LEED. Its vision is that buildings and communities will regenerate and sustain the health and vitality of all life within a generation. Its mission is to transform the way buildings and communities are designed, built, and operated, enabling an environmentally and socially responsible, healthy, and prosperous environment that improves the quality of life. Today, people can trust that LEED-certified buildings use less energy and water, avoid waste, save on maintenance costs, improve indoor air quality, offer comfort to their occupants, and impose less environmental burden on their community. They also know that they are in a building that enhances their health and wellness. USGBC’s educational content and events provide content that reinforces that Healthy People in Healthy Places equals a Healthy Economy.
USGBC’s Conference and Events Event Sponsorship & Partnership Sales Development and Metrics Intern will help provide the data analysis and transfer and research required to establish a customer relationship management system. Their work will be critical in helping the Sponsorship & Exhibits team achieve two goals:
- Establish a prospect and customer database that provides a historical record essential for reporting and for creating a high-quality sales strategy.
- Provide a clear sponsorship strategy that leverages USGBC relationships (outside of Conferences & Events Sponsorship) as well as conference attendance.
A candidate with data management experience, and skill and interest in analysis focused on deriving actionable insights and implications, sales, and customer experience will have the most success and fun in this role. The Event Sponsorship & Partnership Sales Development and Metrics Intern supports the Associate and Director, Event Sponsorship and Partnership as a key team member in the creation of an effective and viable CRM system.
This is an unpaid internship.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Support Associate and Director, Event Sponsorship and Partnership in improvement and management of prospect databases and tracking.
- Support growing sponsorship program to include:
- Revisit Salesforce Needs Assessment (already conducted by Sponsorship team) in order to add necessary fields to Salesforce, making it more useful to the Sponsorship team.
- Ensuring that sponsorship sales and prospect data is input into Salesforce in a manner that will produce meaningful reports.
- Run reports to determine levels of engagement and historical path and inform future conference sales & prospect pipelines.
- Prospect research and identification.
- Adding a metrics-based lens that provides measure of value and ROI for sponsors.
- Provide lens of competitive activities, including sponsorship practices and benefits, sponsoring companies, and messaging, to team.
- Review conference attendee data and metrics for insights for Sponsorship Marketing materials.
- Work with C&E Registration specialist, Salesforce account team, the Sponsorship & Exhibition Team, and Marketing to determine best way to export attendee data as managed and provided by C&E data analytics, systems and KPI reporting into Salesforce.
- Cross-reference attendees against sponsor and prospect data for additional insights.
- Dimensionalize attendee and sponsorship data into personas and use Pardot to customize mailing lists. This will inform better pipeline and audience segmentation and enable more targeted campaigning.
- Assist with updating content for sales materials and marketing collateral and communicating to stakeholders.
- Research API’s and tools to best integrate and track critical sponsorship and exhibition information currently kept in Google Spreadsheets.
- To be determined: Use Google Analytics to identify ways to improve web-based metrics for sponsors.
- Ad hoc projects that support department objectives and as requested by management.
To apply: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or fax your resume and a letter of interest.
- The subject line of the email must include Last name, First name, Position (such as Jones, Sam, Event Sponsorship & Partnership Sales Development and Metrics)
- Submit files as PDFs or Word documents.
- Any attachments must be titled Last name, First name, document (such as, Jones_ Sam_Resume)
- Fax: 202-315-3949.
- No phone calls, please.
What You Need To Bring:
- At least one year of college.
- Currently enrolled student in undergraduate or graduate program of study.
- Experience with data analysis.
- Proficient in the full Microsoft Office suite of programs.
- Demonstrated working knowledge and understanding of Salesforce or other CRM system. Experience with report fields and analysis preferred.
- Demonstrated aptitude for data analytics maintaining tracking documents using shared spreadsheets.
- Professionalism and knowledge of appropriate language and communications for external stakeholders.
- Strong prioritization skills, with ability to act independently, using discretion and best judgment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong tactical skills.
- Deadline-oriented with ability to work efficiently and independently.
- Positive attitude and strong team player.
- Detail oriented, highly organized with the ability to manage multiple complex projects at once while adhering to timelines.
Other Things We’d Like You to Bring:
- Penchant for insightful charts and graphs that provide data visualization.
- Experience in corporate partnerships preferred.
- General knowledge of sponsorship or exhibit sales, including research, prospecting, communications, sales, and reporting.
- Experience with sustainability, construction, and/or ESG is preferred.
- Experience working with both internal and external stakeholders and with conferences and events is optimal.
- Proficiency in Google Analytics preferred.
- Commitment to USGBC mission.
- Willingness to take ownership of responsibilities and problems.
- Twelve week full-time internship.
- Location: 2101 L Street NW, Washington, DC with consideration for remote status
- Hours: Monday through Friday, 9:00 am to 5:30 pm EST, 40 hours per week, including occasional evenings and weekends
- Travel – None.
- USGBC is an equal opportunity employer
Employees work for an established mission-based and member-driven nonprofit organization with a compelling vision. The headquarters office is a LEED Platinum commercial interior space in a LEED certified building in the LEED Platinum certified central business district in the first LEED Platinum certified city, Washington, DC. The office serves as an example for green design and construction products and practices. It is close to public transportation and incorporates many healthy and environmentally friendly features.