Join a pilot program, the Southern Region Volunteers & Service Programs Center of Excellence, to strategize, innovate, and expand the US Forest Service’s community engagement program. You will partner with our team of specialists to design & develop resources for the public, partners, and staff.
With over 13.3 million acres of land and 23 million visitors, the Southern Region encompasses the 13 southern states and Puerto Rico. To maintain, sustain, and care for our public lands, our agency engages volunteers, service participants, and partners in accomplishing the essential work of managing and protecting natural resources. The Volunteers & Service Programs (VSP) Team analyzes, strategizes, and strengthens partnerships to enhance Forest Service capacity and address the pressing needs of natural resource conservation. We connect people to their public lands. eInterns will support Regional & Sub-Regional Volunteers & Service Programs specialists as we add internal agency knowledge and capacity to best engage volunteers and utilize service programs. Help us as we design, create, and refine innovative resources and communications that inform, inspire, and streamline the Forest and Regions volunteer and service program.
VSFS Intern projects, roles, and responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Volunteer and Service Member Recruitment & Management: support the identification of higher education partners regionally and nationally by compiling a list of contacts and resources to increase Federal work-study programming, service-learning, and service-based scholarships and fellowships. Develop resources to support units in hosting volunteer, crews, and interns
2. Grant research and writing: submit applications on behalf of partner for joint grant partnership opportunities; develop persuasive content for a competitive proposal based on demographic data
3. Volunteer Recognition & Communications: Support the development of stories, articles, and other storytelling products.
4. Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion: help us identify opportunities and models to use as we aim to engage diverse and representative group of the public in National Forest projects. Compile US Census data for areas adjacent to national forests and analyze data for programmatic and partnership recommendations. Present US census data project to national forest Multicultural Advisory Committee(s).
5. Reporting & Data Management: support our database of partners and the integrity of our data to help us make strategic and data-informed program decisions. Become familiar with reporting software and support reporting efforts for national Volunteers and Service Program database.
6. Data Analysis: Develops visuals, charts, and graphs around volunteer and service program engagement to support our strategic goals.
Read More About This Opportunity Here.
WHAT IS THE VIRTUAL FEDERAL SERVICE INTERNSHIP PROGRAM?
The Virtual Student Federal Service (VSFS) is an nine-month remote volunteer internship program for U.S. citizen students, college-level and above, who would like to make a real difference in the work of the U.S. government. Since 2009, thousands of eInterns have expanded the efforts of the U.S. government, working remotely from their school, dorm room, apartment, local library or coffee shop – wherever they happen to be! They report to their mentors at federal government agencies in the U.S. and around the world by email, phone, or video chat. VSFS is managed by the Office of eDiplomacy in the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Information Resource Management. Interns commit to 10 hours/week.
HOW TO APPLY?
Applications for the 2021-22 Virtual Student Federal Service (VSFS) program will be accepted July 1-31, 2021 on USAJOBS.gov. During that time, students may find the listing by searching for “VSFS” or “Virtual Student Federal Service” on USAJOBS. Students may apply to up to three projects.
HOW TO FIND SPECIFIC INTERNSHIPS ?
When someone goes to the Virtual Student Federal Service (VSFS) they can view all 959 projects across many agencies. There are 88 projects for the US Forest Service Select “All Projects” at top left of page. To query “Forest Service”, click on “Search” box in top right and enter “Forest Service”. Search for “FS-USA-32.“