Affordable Housing Development Intern
Volunteers of America is a national, nonprofit, faith based organization that provides local human service programs and opportunities for individual and community involvement. For more information, please visit our website at: www.voa.org.
We have an exciting opportunity for an individual to work with our development team to support the design and construction of ongoing affordable housing projects.
General Responsibilities: Support the Colorado housing development team on the acquisition, development, and preservation of affordable housing in the state of Colorado.
• Support Development Directors in all aspects of developing affordable housing. Work could include any and all areas such as; evaluating properties for acquisition, preparing investment materials for internal approval, financing applications, design-development, closing, construction, draw administration, and operations.
• Support the creation of marketing materials.
• Work with financial models, lender checklists and file management systems.
• Opportunities for network building and learning with other organizations developing and supporting affordable housing.
• Support advocacy efforts through a network of local organizations and through interfacing with state and federal representatives.
• Assist with construction project management, including coordination with utilities and third party vendors.
• At least two years of post-secondary education, including but not limited to course work in real estate, community development, , business, economics social entrepreneurship or similar.
• Passion for affordable housing and finding creative solutions to meet the needs of the nation’s most vulnerable. Takes an entrepreneurial ‘spirit’ in approach to finding solutions to difficult problems
• Strong analytics and business development skills.
• Strong communication and collaboration skills.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
Interested students should apply through the Volunteers of America career site: https://app.joinhandshake.com.
Please note that cover letter and resume are required for consideration.
Internship Program Overview
Volunteers of America is a national, nonprofit, spiritually based organization that provides local human service programs and opportunities for individual and community involvement. For more information, please visit our website at www.voa.org.
Volunteers of America’s 12-week internship program was created with the goal of providing the student with applicable and meaningful business opportunities to complement their academic experience with real life work practice. The internship will provide challenging projects to benefit the student’s future career goals, while at the same time growing the organization with the student’s creativity and innovative knowledge contribution. Our aim is to make this a win-win partnership for both student and Volunteers of America.
The selected interns will have the opportunity to gain valuable professional experience at the National Office in Old Town Alexandria or remotely during the summer term. Whether their academic focus lies in non-profit management, external relations, finance, communications, event management or program services, Volunteers of America will work to provide the appropriate platform for students to gain and develop skills in their particular field.
In addition, Volunteers of America will arrange the following:
– Stipend ($1,900)
o For transportation and meals to assist with the cost of interning in the DC metro area
o If working remote, for the use of personal equipment (computer, printer, paper, etc.)
– Dedicated Supervisor and Mentor to oversee the experience for the student(s)
o Teresa Alfaro
• Director, Strategic Meetings & Events, email@example.com
o Cristina Blough
• Senior Manager, Corporate Partnerships, firstname.lastname@example.org
o Aileen Cunningham
• HR Coordinator, email@example.com
o Michael McGrath
• Director, Office of the President & Strategic Initiatives, firstname.lastname@example.org
o Lizelle Pereira
• Manager, Budget & Financial Analysis, email@example.com
o Laura Sildon
• VP Strategic Partnerships, National Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
– Exposure to multiple departments and senior executives of the organization throughout the internship through bi-weekly meetings or professional development activities
– 360 Feedback Process throughout the internship, with final review at the end of the season
o Intern to provide feedback on work performed and overall experience
o Supervisor to provide feedback on internship