Communications Intern – Summer 2021
($1,900 Stipend) – Please refer to Program Overview Below
Volunteers of America is a national, nonprofit, spiritually based organization that provides local human service programs and opportunities for individual and community involvement. For more information, please visit our website at: www.voa.org.
Volunteers of America is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA, within walking distance of the King Street Metro.
General Responsibilities: Volunteers of America, National Office is seeking two dynamic, self-starters to assist in national and regional marketing and communications initiatives. The internship is an excellent opportunity to experience various aspects of marketing and communications while working for a prestigious faith-based nonprofit organization, which serves 1.5 million individuals per year.
The Communications and Marketing Interns will be an integral member of the Communications Team. Interns will research and create content to illustrate the work VOA does in over 400 communities across the country. The ideal candidates must excel in written and verbal communication, be social media-savvy and manage multiple assignments from start to finish.
• Assist Communications Team (Internal, External, Public Relations, Event Management and Digital/Social Media) with writing, researching, curating and composing content
• Update and maintain VOA’s social media presence, including scheduling Facebook, Twitter, Instagram
• Assist in research, planning, and writing weekly communication to local offices and monthly engagement messaging, along with other electronic marketing strategies
• Research, draft, and distribute materials for news releases, media alerts and other stories
• Assist in designing flyers, graphics, e-vites and other marketing material for events hosted by VOA
• Collaborate with staff on new ideas, directions and venues for marketing and communications
• Create/update press distribution list
• Brainstorm ideas for new and innovative campaigns on social media and make recommendations to increase engagement
• Assist in writing content for website and other VOA channels
• Completed or working towards degree in Marketing, Advertising, Communications, Public Relations, Journalism or related field
• Superior written and verbal communications skills
• Knowledge and experience with social media platforms
• Strong attention to detail and organizational skills
• Ability to prioritize, multi-task and meet deadlines
Internship Program Overview
Volunteers of America is a national, nonprofit, spiritually based organization that provides local human service programs and opportunities for individual and community involvement. For more information, please visit our website at www.voa.org.
Volunteers of America’s 12-week internship program was created with the goal of providing the student with applicable and meaningful business opportunities to complement their academic experience with real life work practice. The internship will provide challenging projects to benefit the student’s future career goals, while at the same time growing the organization with the student’s creativity and innovative knowledge contribution. Our aim is to make this a win-win partnership for both student and Volunteers of America.
The selected interns will have the opportunity to gain valuable professional experience at the National Office in Old Town Alexandria or remotely during the summer term. Whether their academic focus lies in non-profit management, external relations, finance, communications, event management or program services, Volunteers of America will work to provide the appropriate platform for students to gain and develop skills in their particular field.
In addition, Volunteers of America will arrange the following:
– Stipend ($1,900)
o For transportation and meals to assist with the cost of interning in the DC metro area
o If working remote, for the use of personal equipment (computer, printer, paper, etc.)
Dedicated Supervisor and Mentor to oversee the experience for the student(s)
o Teresa Alfaro – Director, Strategic Meetings & Events, firstname.lastname@example.org
o Cristina Blough – Senior Manager, Corporate Partnerships, email@example.com
o Michael McGrath – Director, Office of the President & Strategic Initiatives, firstname.lastname@example.org
o Lizelle Pereira – Director, Budget & Financial Analysis, email@example.com
o Laura Sildon – VP Strategic Partnerships, National Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
Exposure to multiple departments and senior executives of the organization throughout the internship through bi-weekly meetings or professional development activities
360 Feedback Process throughout the internship, with final review at the end of the season
- Intern to provide feedback on work performed and overall experience
- Supervisor to provide feedback on internship
Interested students should apply through the Volunteers of America career site: https://app.joinhandshake.com.
Please note that cover letter and resume are required for consideration.