Volunteers of America, Inc.
Fundraising Development Intern
Volunteers of America is a national, nonprofit, spiritually based organization that provides local human service programs and opportunities for individual and community involvement. For more information, please visit our website at: www.voa.org.
We have an exciting opportunity for an individual to work with our fundraising development team to support ongoing donor stewardship, campaigns, affiliate office fundraising and grant research.
Volunteers of America is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA, within walking distance of the King Street Metro.
General Responsibilities: Support the fundraising development team. Responsibilities may vary depending on the goals and interest of the intern and the current projects of the department. Responsibilities will include:
• Assisting with department projects related to donor recognition and stewardship, e.g., drafting thank you letters to donors, supporting the coordination of partner engagement events.
• Providing database support by creating, updating, and managing donor data.
• Writing campaign content and fundraising solicitations alongside staff.
• Researching foundational grants whose goals align with the mission of Volunteers of America.
• Assisting with the Major Gift Community Campaign.
• Assist with the planning and execution of educational opportunities for affiliate staff, including the development boot camp three day training meeting.
• Assist with the planning and execution of a national partner summit.
• Providing administrative support to a network of affiliate programs as needed.
• At least two years of post-secondary education. Experience and/or coursework in fundraising, nonprofit management, or marketing and communications a plus.
• Interest in the nonprofit sector.
• Outstanding communication skills, both oral and written, are essential.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
Interested students should apply through the Volunteers of America career site: https://app.joinhandshake.com
Please note that cover letter and resume are required for consideration.
Internship Program Overview
Volunteers of America is a national, nonprofit, spiritually based organization that provides local human service programs and opportunities for individual and community involvement. For more information, please visit our website at www.voa.org.
Volunteers of America’s 12-week internship program was created with the goal of providing the student with applicable and meaningful business opportunities to complement their academic experience with real life work practice. The internship will provide challenging projects to benefit the student’s future career goals, while at the same time growing the organization with the student’s creativity and innovative knowledge contribution. Our aim is to make this a win-win partnership for both student and Volunteers of America.
The selected interns will have the opportunity to gain valuable professional experience at the National Office in Old Town Alexandria or remotely during the summer term. Whether their academic focus lies in non-profit management, external relations, finance, communications, event management or program services, Volunteers of America will work to provide the appropriate platform for students to gain and develop skills in their particular field.
In addition, Volunteers of America will arrange the following:
– Stipend ($1,900)
o For transportation and meals to assist with the cost of interning in the DC metro area
o If working remote, for the use of personal equipment (computer, printer, paper, etc.)
– Dedicated Supervisor and Mentor to oversee the experience for the student(s)
o Teresa Alfaro
• Director, Strategic Meetings & Events, firstname.lastname@example.org
o Cristina Blough
• Senior Manager, Corporate Partnerships, email@example.com
o Aileen Cunningham
• HR Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org
o Michael McGrath
• Director, Office of the President & Strategic Initiatives, email@example.com
o Lizelle Pereira
• Manager, Budget & Financial Analysis, firstname.lastname@example.org
o Laura Sildon
• VP Strategic Partnerships, National Services, email@example.com
– Exposure to multiple departments and senior executives of the organization throughout the internship through bi-weekly meetings or professional development activities
– 360 Feedback Process throughout the internship, with final review at the end of the season
o Intern to provide feedback on work performed and overall experience
o Supervisor to provide feedback on internship
Interested students should apply through the Volunteers of America career site: https://app.joinhandshake.com. Please note that cover letter and resume are required for consideration.