Legal Intern – Summer 2021
Stipend for 12 Week Internship – $1900
Volunteers of America is a national, nonprofit, spiritually based organization that provides health and human services programs to America’s most vulnerable. For more information about our organization and the local services and programs we provide, please visit our website at: www.voa.org.
Volunteers of America is located in Old Town Alexandria, VA, within walking distance of the King Street Metro.
We have an exciting opportunity for an individual to work with our Office of Legal Affairs team to provide highly confidential, high level and key support to our legal department.
Support the Office of Legal Affairs team on various projects and legal services provided to the National Office and our 31 affiliates. Volunteers of America is one of the nation’s largest providers of quality affordable housing. The legal intern will have an opportunity to work on various tasks pertaining to our portfolio. In addition, the legal intern will:
- Conduct legal research on various topics, such as state and Federal tax laws, corporate compliance and governance, and HUD requirements
- Draft internal and external memos
- Develop and plan legal training sessions for internal staff and affiliates on various topics
- Review contracts
- Track and maintain current and pending litigation and task orders
- Opportunities for network building with internal and external legal counsels
- At least one year of law school completed
- Passion for law and working for a mission-driven organization
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong oral and written communication, and collaboration skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel
Interested students should apply through the Volunteers of America career site: https://app.joinhandshake.com
Please note that a cover letter and resume are required for consideration.
Internship Program Overview
Volunteers of America is a national, nonprofit, spiritually based organization that provides local human service programs and opportunities for individual and community involvement. For more information, please visit our website at www.voa.org.
Volunteers of America’s 12-week internship program was created with the goal of providing the student with applicable and meaningful business opportunities to complement their academic experience with real life work practice. The internship will provide challenging projects to benefit the student’s future career goals, while at the same time growing the organization with the student’s creativity and innovative knowledge contribution. Our aim is to make this a win-win partnership for both student and Volunteers of America.
The selected interns will have the opportunity to gain valuable professional experience at the National Office in Old Town Alexandria or remotely during the summer term. Whether their academic focus lies in non-profit management, external relations, finance, communications, event management or program services, Volunteers of America will work to provide the appropriate platform for students to gain and develop skills in their particular field.
In addition, Volunteers of America will arrange the following:
– Stipend ($1,900)
o For transportation and meals to assist with the cost of interning in the DC metro area
o If working remote, for the use of personal equipment (computer, printer, paper, etc.)
– Dedicated Supervisor and Mentor to oversee the experience for the student(s)
o Teresa Alfaro
· Director, Strategic Meetings & Events, email@example.com
o Cristina Blough
· Senior Manager, Corporate Partnerships, firstname.lastname@example.org
o Michael McGrath
· Director, Office of the President & Strategic Initiatives, email@example.com
o Lizelle Pereira
· Director, Budget & Financial Analysis, firstname.lastname@example.org
o Laura Sildon
· VP Strategic Partnerships, National Services, email@example.com
– Exposure to multiple departments and senior executives of the organization throughout the internship through bi-weekly meetings or professional development activities
– 360 Feedback Process throughout the internship, with final review at the end of the season
o Intern to provide feedback on work performed and overall experience
o Supervisor to provide feedback on internship
Interested students should apply through the Volunteers of America career site: https://app.joinhandshake.com.
Please note that cover letter and resume are required for consideration.