Position: Community Outreach Manager – Washington, DC
Reports to: Director of State and Partner Engagement
Organization Description: The Voter Participation Center (VPC) is the nation’s largest non-partisan, non-profit organization dedicated to registering and mobilizing voters from the New American Majority (NAM) – people of color, unmarried women and young people – who make up the majority of the potential electorate but have been historically underrepresented in political participation and power. Using direct mail and digital outreach, guided by rigorous data science and experimentation, and working closely with a multitude of partner organizations, VPC connects with millions of voters each year, helping build the foundation for a more representative democracy.
Over 18 years VPC has helped more than 5.7 million people register to vote. In 2020, as COVID-19 shut down most forms of in-person voter contact, VPC assisted more than 4.6 million people in applying to vote by mail and cast ballots, more than 1.6 million people in registering to vote, and millions of voters in voting early and safely to reduce pressures on polling places on Election Day.
VPC programs are flexible, nimble and scalable. VPC is driven by a commitment to constant research, testing, experimentation and evaluation, and thus offers many of the most cost-effective, proven, high-impact programs in the civic engagement field.
The Center for Voter Information (CVI) is VPC’s partner organization, and is a separate but affiliated 501(c)(4) non-profit that works to engage both the NAM as well as members of the broader electorate who share their values.
Position Description: The VPC and CVI are seeking a Community Outreach Manager to join their growing Partnerships team. Reporting to the Director of State and Partner Engagement, the organizations’ two Community Outreach Managers build awareness of VPC and CVI’s programs and increase alignment with other civic engagement organizations to maximize voter participation. Community Outreach Managers coordinate projects with partners, communicate proactively and responsively with state and national organizations as well as election officials, and manage information relating to VPC and CVI programs and partnerships throughout the states.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a growing organization committed to fulfilling the promise of democracy for all, and to help promote innovative voter registration and mobilization strategies. The right candidate will be self-motivated, collaborative, a people person, and committed to the mission of VPC and CVI. This is a full-time position. The Community Outreach Manager is ideally based in Washington, DC although other locations will be considered.
- Build and maintain relationships with state and national civic engagement organizations, including sharing input from the broader community with VPC/CVI colleagues;
- Draft written communication and help develop materials to cultivate partnerships including proposals, slide decks, background research, email communications, webinars, and reports;
- Manage outreach databases and email listserv, maintaining up to date information related to partnerships across multiple states and organizations;
- Track input from and communication with election officials on VPC/CVI programs;
- Manage communication with state civic engagement organizations in advance of VPC/CVI mailings;
- Support creation and execution of agreements and MOUs with partners;
- Maintain a calendar of outreach opportunities including meetings and events;
- Build internal cross-departmental awareness and alignment on partnerships;
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience with grassroots civic and voter engagement campaigns and/or advocacy campaigns with public interest, issue-based or constituency-based organizations
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple time-sensitive projects, including balancing short-term requests with longer term or cyclical responsibilities
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment and meet deadlines
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Extreme attention to detail
- Ability to work collaboratively and approach challenges thoughtfully
- Previous database management and/or data entry experience
- Experience working with nonprofit organization leaders
- Fluency in GoogleSuite including Sheets
- Commitment to increasing electoral participation of historically underrepresented populations
- Experience with civic engagement and/or progressive political nonprofit organizations and coalitions at the state and/or national level
- 1-2 cycles of political campaign experience, including mail and/or digital
- Familiarity with NGP VAN and voter contact platforms
- Knowledge of social science and data analysis
- Experience preparing reports
- Experience with Mailchimp or similar email marketing platforms
- Familiarity with Asana or other project management softwares and Slack
The salary range is $65,000 to $70,000. VPC/CVI offers an excellent benefits package, including 100% coverage of healthcare premiums. To apply, please submit a resume, cover letter and three professional references. APPLY HERE. References are not contacted until you are notified.
VPC/CVI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
We strongly value the leadership of people of color, LGBTQ individuals, and other traditionally marginalized communities, and encourage candidates from these communities to apply. We strive to create and maintain a working environment that is inclusive, equitable and welcoming.