Who we are
Founded in 1923, W. W. Norton is the oldest and largest independent and employee-owned publishing house, publishing works of Nobel laureates, master teachers, and Pulitzer Prize winners. For almost a century, Norton has been dedicated to achieving a common goal: to bring to readers and students enduring fiction, nonfiction, and poetry, as well as high-quality textbooks and digital learning tools.
About the internship
W. W. Norton is looking for interns to participate in our nine-week remote internship program. Our internship program provides participants with an engaging, supportive, and hands-on learning experience in publishing that includes mentorships with experienced Norton employees and networking within the intern class. Your work if you become a Norton intern with the Business and Operations team may include the following:
· Auditing newly available frontlist book metadata
· Generating and helping to analyze print run reports
· Aiding in College expense tracking
· Assisting in cleaning and standardizing sales data
· Auditing regular reports and surfacing irregularities as needed
· Assisting in analyzing P&Ls
· Maintaining lists of publication schedules, metadata, and other information
· Analyzing current inventory
· Auditing 3rd-party metadata cleanliness
· Performing other metadata clean-up projects as needed
Why you’ll be a great fit
We are excited to add interns who bring diverse perspectives to Norton. The ideal candidate is curious, hardworking, and eager to learn more about the different facets of publishing. Here are some skills and qualities we look for in candidates:
· You are a college junior, senior, or recent graduate.
· You are eager to improve your verbal and written communication skills.
· You enjoy collaborating and working in a group to solve challenges.
· You have a passion for learning and ideas.
· You have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Outlook, especially Excel).
· You are a critical thinker.
· You are interested in the business of publishing.
· Interns are paid $15 per hour and work 20 hours weekly.
· Internship period is nine weeks from June 7, 2021 through August 6, 2021.
· Our work day is 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time; specific work hours are flexible to accommodate an intern’s schedule.
· This internship is fully remote.
· The deadline for applications will be May 10, 2021.