Who we are
Founded in 1923, W. W. Norton is the oldest and largest independent and employee-owned publishing house, publishing works of Nobel laureates, master teachers, and Pulitzer Prize winners. For almost a century, Norton has been dedicated to achieving a common goal: to bring to readers and students enduring fiction, nonfiction, and poetry, as well as high-quality textbooks and digital learning tools.
About the internship
W. W. Norton is looking for interns to participate in our nine-week remote internship program. Our internship program provides participants with an engaging, supportive, and hands-on learning experience in publishing that includes mentorships with experienced Norton employees and networking within the intern class. Your work if you become a Norton intern with the College Managing Editorial team may include the following:
· Cross-checking and proofreading various stages of page proofs
· Reviewing manuscripts for accurate design coding
· Giving feedback on first-edition manuscripts
· Assisting developmental editors with their research
· Copyediting table of contents, indexes, and marketing material
· Updating style sheets for various disciplines
· Scoring freelancer copyediting and proofreading tests
Why you’ll be a great fit
We are excited to add interns who bring diverse perspectives to Norton. The ideal candidate is curious, hardworking, and eager to learn more about the different facets of publishing. Here are some skills and qualities we look for in candidates:
· You are a college junior, senior, or recent graduate.
· You are eager to improve your verbal and written communication skills.
· You enjoy collaborating and working in a group to solve challenges.
· You have a passion for learning and ideas.
· You have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, Outlook).
· You are interested in project management, copyediting, and proofreading.
· Interns are paid $15 per hour and work 20 hours weekly.
· Internship period is nine weeks from 06/07/21 through 08/06/21.
· Our work day is 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time; specific work hours are flexible to accommodate an intern’s schedule.
· This internship is fully remote.
· The deadline for applications is May 10, 2021.