Art Bridges is the vision of philanthropist and arts patron Alice Walton. The mission of Art Bridges is to expand access to American art in all regions across the United States. Since 2017, Art Bridges has been creating and supporting programs that bring outstanding works of American art out of storage and into communities. Art Bridges partners with a growing network of nearly 150 museums of all sizes and locations to provide financial and strategic support for exhibition development, loans from the Art Bridges collection, and programs designed to educate, inspire, and deepen engagement with local audiences. The Art Bridges Collection features American masterworks of early American to present day and encompasses painting, sculpture, and photography.
The Traveling Exhibitions department seeks one intern to employ for both fall 2021 and spring 2022 semesters (September 1, 2021- April 15, 2022). The intern will assist with traveling exhibitions tours from the early planning stages through implementation.
Duties will include:
- Researching potential partner venues
- Updating information in the database
- Assisting partner organizers and venues as needed
- Copywriting and editing
- Developing content for the Art Bridges website
Preferred candidates will be passionate about expanding access to art with skills in critical thinking, problem-solving, research, communications, writing, and building interpersonal relationships. The intern should possess intellectual curiosity, flexibility, and openness to give and receive feedback. They will be interested in American art, community engagement, social justice, and DEAI. Applicants must be prepared for a hands on experience. The intern will have the ability to work with diverse partners, listen, ask questions, adapt, and collaborate.
The 12-week fall internship will run from Wednesday, September 1, 2021 to Wednesday, November 24, 2021. The 12-week spring internship will run Monday, January 24, 2022 to Friday, April 15, 2022. The intern will work 10-15 hours per week as determined with supervisor.
Art Bridges is committed to a diverse workforce and to providing training for the next generation of museum professionals. Students from historically underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
- Currently enrolled undergraduate or graduate student
- Dependable and punctual
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite is required, and familiarity with library and Web-based search tools is strongly preferred
- A background check is required
- Must maintain the confidentiality of all non-public information
- Possible course credit can be negotiated with University departmental supervisor
Areas of Support
The Traveling Exhibitions Intern will actively participate and perform duties in some of the following functional areas:
- Assist the Traveling Exhibitions team in developing exhibition tours
- Potential venue research; identifying best contact person at identified institutions
- Writing and editing copy for various projects, including exhibition precis
- Assist with finding and/or developing content for the Art Bridges website
- Assist with venue support. The needs of our partner venues vary, and this will require flexibility and problem-solving.
- Attend All Staff and Exhibition department meetings
- Attend project meetings
- Collaborate with curators, program administrators, education/programming staff, registrars, web developers, and others
- Other duties as assigned
Please submit a resume and cover letter to be considered for this internship. The application deadline is July 26, 2021.
$12/hr or course credit if needed
· Application due by July 26, 2021
· Intern selected by August 13, 2021
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an intern to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Physical Demands: In the work environment described herein, the position requires work at a desk and utilizing a computer for prolonged periods of time, and excellent eye/hand coordination. Visual acuity to review detailed drawings and written materials are required for this job.
- Work Environment: Work will be remote.
- Computer Equipment: If you do not have a laptop, one may be provided to you.
Art Bridges is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment of any kind. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.