Summer Educational Campaign (Communications, Graphic Design)
Meet with multiple staff members and departments to get a feel for what they do. Choose a topic, campaign, or environmental holiday that inspires you and create a campaign around it. Research, draft, and follow-through to publication, including but not limited to blog post(s), graphics and informational carousels, Instagram stories, and animations. Collect data on metrics (engagement, reach, etc.) at the conclusion of the campaign. Create a presentation and present on the overall success and lessons learned from the campaign.
- Choose and research a topic, under supervision of the Senior Coordinator and in collaboration with other departments;
- Collect stories from program staff and verified statistics on that topic;
- Develop and execute a campaign strategy to educate the public on the approved topic;
- Research what other nonprofits in the subject are doing on social media – what works, what doesn’t, and why?;
- Use Adobe Creative Suite and/or Canva to create original graphics, infographics, Instagram stories, and animations to post on social media;
- Draft blog(s) to provide more information for the campaign;
- Draft copy for social media;
- Incorporate Waterkeeper Alliance brand guidelines into visuals;
- Create a list of accounts and thought leaders to follow on Instagram and Twitter related to the topic, and why;
- List out popular hashtags to support the campaign;
- Track and compile metrics;
- Create campaign report and collect metrics from Facebook Insights, Instagram Insights, and Google Analytics;
- Create a presentation and present on the success and lessons learned of the campaign; and
- Make suggestions for future educational social media campaigns.
- Prior graphic design experience including experience in Canva or Adobe Creative Suite;
- Enthusiasm for education through social media;
- An eye for design;
- Ability to take initiative and work efficiently to complete tasks independently and collaboratively;
- Passion for Waterkeeper Alliance’s mission; and
- A positive attitude and sense of humor.
Please note that this internship is unpaid and must be completed for course credit towards their degree.