Weaver Austin Villeneuve & Sampson LLP (WAVS IP) is seeking lateral candidates for patent preparation and prosecution in our chemical and biosciences group. You will join an incredible team of attorneys, agents, paralegals, and staff that represents a wide range of clients, including start-ups, large companies, and universities. Technical areas include those relating to advanced materials, pharmaceuticals and treatment methods, therapeutic diagnostics, and engineered organisms.
WAVS IP is a growing, San Francisco Bay Area-based patent law firm with over 25 registered patent practitioners and a diverse client base. WAVS IP offers opportunities for advancement within the firm and also has reputable informal and formal mentorship. We have a friendly work environment and highly trained support staff. Our Bay Area offices are in downtown Oakland and Menlo Park. Remote, in-office, and hybrid working arrangements are supported. We offer a percentage-based compensation plan that generously rewards hard-working practitioners while providing flexibility to maintain a reasonable work/life balance and a competitive benefits plan. WAVS IP does not discriminate based upon race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, national origin or any other legally protected characteristic.
- Eligible to be admitted to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO)
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in chemistry, biology, or other relevant life sciences field; or pertinent industry experience
- At least 3 years of patent attorney or agent experience
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Interest in patent prosecution
- Ability to work with colleagues in various time zones in the U.S.
- Admission to practice before the USPTO
- Ph.D. in chemistry, biology, or other relevant life sciences field
- Prior patent prosecution experience in a law firm setting
- Keen understanding of fundamental scientific principles and interdisciplinary technologies.
Application Submission Requirements:
Please email email@example.com with “Chemistry/Life Sciences Experienced Patent Prosecution Associate Position” in the subject line with the following:
- Cover letter
In your cover letter, please provide a brief explanation of your experience in handling complex matters and portfolios for clients. In addition, please provide a brief introduction of technical knowledge gained during your technical degree or industry experience.
- Transcripts (college, graduate school, and law school if applicable)
- Writing samples