We are a small, well-funded start-up team of entrepreneurs focused on building a high-tech sports video platform. Our team includes former professional athletes and senior media and tech executives. Our development team consists of just a handful of true experts (UI, CV/ML, Big Data). WePlayed graduated from TechStars in 2019 and recently secured VC funding from a top-tier Boston-based venture capital firm.
We leverage Computer Vision and Machine Learning in our core technology. Currently, our primary product offering helps colleges and universities manage and publish their video content in short-form clips we call “Moments.” Check out these for more info: https://weplayed.com/intro and https://about.weplayed.com/. Our customers include over thirty D1 schools as well as smaller universities. We have secured media-rights and partnerships with NCAA, SEC, ACC, Big 12 and other market-leading channel partners. We are looking to grow beyond college sports to create an ecosystem where every “Moment” is easily discoverable to the sports community.
We believe in work-life balance and walk the walk – we focus on outcomes and goals rather than screen-time or face-time. We trust our team members and support and empower them when times get tough for any reason. We take a novel approach to helping our employees with career development and plan ahead for 5-10 years. Most importantly: we believe in and cultivate diversity and inclusion.
- You are really passionate about sports data, sports video, and most importantly, Python!
- You are a smart and self-motivated individual that enjoys working with likeminded people.
- You are outgoing, communicate very well and are never afraid to ask questions or to share new ideas.
- You thrive in fast-moving environments that are looking to build something cool while keeping quality and long-term vision in mind.
- You have a successful track record of working in startups, wearing many hats and taking ownership.
- You don’t always wait for requirements and specs to be fully formed – you are comfortable helping to figure things out in an agile way.
- You love building data-based systems and are no stranger to AWS.
- You consider the Linux/Unix command line to be your best non-human friend.
- You look after the production environment like it is your baby.
- You might not always Obey the Testing Goat but you recognize the value in the methodology and leverage test automation whenever possible.
- You have found your groove and enjoy working remotely.
- You are comfortable working in the Eastern time zone and look forward to in-person team events a couple of times a year (around Boston).
Position Mission Statement
Take ownership of various WePlayed backend systems including game data and roster management, all API interfaces and integrations, video serving, logging and many more. Introduce a number of key product features and new systems as the WePlayed platform enters the market. Introduce new design patterns and refactor existing modules with best practices, scalability and performance in mind. Report to and work closely with the CTO/Co-founder, collaborate with a small team of developers including Web UI and Computer Vision / ML engineers.