Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary Biological Field Technician in Forsyth, MT. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
- Sep IRA (100% employer contributions)
Join WEST and you will discover and enjoy:
- Family friendly environment
- Diverse workforce and DE&I efforts
- Great work/life balance
- Flexible and Casual work culture
- Professional growth opportunity
- Safe and happy working environment
The successful candidate will be an independent self-motivated individual who is skilled in bird identification in shrub-steppe, grasslands, and forests, and has previous experience conducting point count surveys. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working in various (extreme) weather conditions and terrains and have a passion for the outdoors.
- Conduct avian use and other seasonal wildlife surveys
- Data collection including use of detailed paper datasheets and electronic data recorders
- Field work will entail long hours of standing and observing, sometimes in inclement conditions and driving/walking in varying terrain
Start Date: September 15, 2021
Compensation: $16-20/hr DOE
Project Length: 12 months
Housing: $500 monthly housing reimbursement provided
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred
- Must be able to identify birds by sight and sound for species in the region
- Previous experience on biological field studies and/or prior field experience preferred
- Skilled use of topographic maps, compass, GPS units, and other field equipment is required
- Applicants must be in good physical shape, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme
- Must be able to maintain equipment; must be able to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, clients, landowners, and other technicians
- Technician must be equipped with and provide own suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots, etc.), clothing, and high quality binoculars (8×42 min size)
- Follow all WEST safety protocols
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.