Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary part time, Biological Field Technician. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
- Sep IRA (100% employer contributions)
Join WEST and you will discover and enjoy:
- Family friendly environment
- Diverse workforce and DE&I efforts
- Great work/life balance
- Flexible and Casual work culture
- Professional growth opportunity
- Safe and happy working environment
The primary duty involves conducting:
- Avian surveys for small birds (e.g. passerines, etc.) and large birds (e.g. waterfowl, shorebirds, diurnal raptors [including eagles], etc.)
- Job duties require bird identification (including possible species of conservation concern) and the use of a compass, GPS, paper and electronic map devices.
- This job includes conducting field work in a remote location.
- Fieldwork may include travel on field roads into project area, field navigation, and observing and recording for avian activity (previous experience preferred).
- The job will consist of up to 8-12 hour days.
- Field conditions will include a range of extreme high and low temperatures and varying high wind speeds.
- Candidate must be comfortable with hazards typical of the environment (sharp vegetation, driving a four-wheel drive vehicle, dust, extreme heat and cold).
Compensation: $17-20 per hour depending on experience
Start date: October 1, 2021
End date: December 31, 2021 (with possibility of employment extending through August 2023).
Location: located in southeastern Nebraska
Housing: rent reimbursement of up to $500 per month, if moving is required.
Additional details: GPS units and other field equipment will be provided by WEST. Field technicians must be equipped with professional-grade binoculars, suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots), and appropriate clothing
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred; Undergraduates or other enthusiastic workers are still encouraged to apply
- Candidates with field experience at regional wind projects will be given preference
- Experience with bat and bird identification of Midwestern species or ability to identify species using guides/keys is preferred
- Skilled use of computers, GPS units, topographic maps, compass, and other field equipment is required
- Candidates must be organized, and able to collect and manage data, including implementing quality control measures
- Must be able to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, biologists, technicians, clients, and landowners
- Must be able to appear for work on time; start times will often be as early as sunrise
- Applicants must be in good physical condition; surveys will require walking for entire shifts in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme
- Technicians must be equipped with and provide own suitable safety toed footwear (steel or composite-toe), clothing suitable for outdoor work in all elements, and binoculars (at least 8×42)
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.