Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices in 14 states, has an exciting, challenging and immediate opportunity for a full-time Research Biologist or Ecologist based in our Bloomington, IN office. WEST was founded in 1990 and over the last 30 years has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. This unique blend of disciplines and our years of experience in both areas allow us to provide original solutions to a wide range of natural resource issues from inventory to permitting to risk assessment to basic research. WEST provides consulting services to government, industry and other organizations.
- Competitive salary and bonus structure
- Generous paid leave
- Comprehensive healthcare plans
- Life insurance, LTD and AD&D
- SEP IRA
- Employee owned/Shareholder potential
Join WEST and you will discover and enjoy:
- Family friendly environment
- Diverse workforce and DE&I efforts
- Great work/life balance
- Flexible and Casual work culture
- Professional growth opportunity
- Safe and happy working environment
The successful candidate will be responsible for overseeing the successful completion of pre-construction and post-construction avian and bat surveys at wind-energy projects, field surveys for birds and bats, habitat assessments for rare species, other field work as needed, and report preparation.
Successful candidates will also assist with other various field surveys, data analysis and management, and other tasks as needed.
There are primary qualifications sought for the position:
- Experience designing and implementing wildlife field studies
- Good verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Strong writing skills, and project management/organizational skills
- Experience completing avian and bat surveys.
- Applicants must be willing and able to travel, able to work independently or with other professionals, and be a participant in a positive work environment.
- Applicants should demonstrate the ability to follow instructions from managers; interact effectively with coworkers, clients, and agencies; and be able to accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- A successful candidate must be a strong writer with the ability to pay attention to detail and accurately report the scientific methods and results of field studies.
- A successful candidate must be able to supervise others and meet deliverable targets and deadlines.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
The Research Biologist we are seeking has a great opportunity to help WEST take the next step in our growth as a full service environmental consulting firm. The successful candidate must be a self-starter who possesses:
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in the related field
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with a history of publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals
- Excellent time management and organizational skills with the ability to work well under time constraints and meet deliverable targets and deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to work on biological field studies
- Strong, competent writing skills with the ability to pay close attention to detail and accurately report the scientific methods and results of field studies
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to follow instructions from managers and accept guidance and constructive criticism
- Ability to effectively supervise others
- Adherence to all health and safety processes and protocols
- This position will require overnight travel
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, age, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability status, genetics, and any protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.