UPDATE: This winter season, the Jumbos 4 Jumbos program will run from December 27th, 2022 through January 13th, 2023. The deadline for alumni to submit projects is December 2nd, 2022.
In the summer of 2020, Tufts alumni stepped up in a big way to help current undergraduate students explore career paths and build skills during a global pandemic. The result of these efforts became the Jumbos4Jumbos program: a year-round initiative to offer short-term projects and gigs that allow students to gain experience at times when many have fewer options.
Will you help us again this year? About 90% of Tufts undergraduates do at least one internship during their time at Tufts (and about 70% do two or more). So as you can imagine, the ongoing public health crisis continues to impact a large part of our undergraduate population.
Can you or your organization offer an experiential opportunity to help Tufts undergraduates have productive work experiences? Even if they work remotely, we are hoping alumni will offer projects/micro-internships/gigs that students can do remotely to gain skills.
Whether it lasts two weeks or is a semester/summer long commitment, if you have projects to share, a full-time job or internship available, we would like to hear from you. If you need more information on how you can lend a hand, the Career Center is ready to collaborate. We are encouraging students to be creative and flexible with their plans, and we appreciate any assistance you can offer in helping them make progress toward their goals.
When thinking about your project, please have the following information included in your student facing description:
- Full description of your opportunity to the best of your ability
- A little bit about the organization/opportunity
- Key roles/responsibilities
- Frequency of supervision
- Minimum qualifications (School, Year, Major)
- Any skills/competencies needed or previous experience
- Expected hours per week and expected duration of weeks
Would you like to work with a current Tufts student this summer? Here are two pathways:
I would like a student to help me with a short-term professional project
Alumni can access the Jumbos4Jumbos program via The Herd under the Projects section in order to manage their entire project process. This will make the process seamless for you, the alumni, and the students looking to apply and partake in your opportunities. Alumni will be able to submit projects for review, manage their applicants, interviews, and close projects as well as receive automated updates throughout each step of the process.
Tufts students currently already use this tool for our alumni flash-mentorship program available to them through our Alumni Career Services team.
Enter your Project Proposal here.
- We encourage you to review our walkthrough of a sample project with best practices.
- You’re also welcome to view our FAQs for creating and submitting a project.
On Projects, you will have full autonomy to see student applications as they come in and decide who you want to reach out to for an interview and/or to offer them the project.
I would like to post an official internship on behalf of my organization
If you are looking to hire a Tufts student for a longer term, more in-depth experience with your company, you may wish to post an official internship. Tufts University utilizes a recruiting database called Handshake, where employers can make a profile and post any job or internship openings for Tufts students and alums to view.
- If you do not already have a Handshake account, follow these instructions: How do I create a user account and join an existing company?
- If your company does not have an existing profile, here are some further instructions on how to create that profile: How do I create a company profile? Please let us know if you have any further questions about this process!
- Once you are registered, follow these instructions to post your opportunity: How do I post a job?
When posting jobs, be sure to indicate the class year(s) of students you are interested in hiring, application deadlines, and application instructions.
If you have questions, need clarification or have other issues please contact Willa Mayo, Recruiting Coordinator at Willa.Mayo@tufts.edu.