On-Campus/Virtual Interview Guidelines 2023 – 2024
Fall 2023 Update: We utilize a hybrid programming model; employers may request to conduct an OCI virtually or in-person.
What is an on-campus/virtual interview (OCI)?
What is the OCI interview period at Tufts?
How do I request an interview room?
What types of interviews can I conduct on-campus?
When and where are interviews held when on-campus and virtually?
What is provided to employers?
What if I need changes to my schedule?
Who should I contact if I have questions about employer engagement at Tufts?
An on-campus interview (OCI) is an interview day set up by an employer for Tufts students who submit applications for a Handshake job posting. OCIs can be conducted either on campus in the Tufts Career Center, or virtually via Zoom or another interview platform.
- September 5th, 2023 – December 11th, 2023
- Fall 2023 Interviews can be scheduled beginning July 5, 2023
- January 22nd, 2024 – May 3rd, 2024
- Spring 2024 Interviews can be scheduled beginning January 2nd, 2024
You can request interviews through Handshake, our job posting portal that is also used by many schools around the country.
There are 2 main types of interviews:
- Preselect: A preselect is when a schedule is set for you in Handshake (30, 60, or 90 minutes). You select the applicants and they sign up for interview slots. This option provides less flexibility for you to manage your own interview schedules (i.e., any changes need to go through the Career Center staff member)
- Room only: A room only reservation is where we hold a room for you for interviews, the scheduling function will be done externally from Handshake using a platform of your choice. You will need to reach out to candidates to schedule them, but many employers have had success via Google Docs and Doodle Polls. This option allows you to have complete control over your schedule, including the flexibility to make last minute changes to your schedule if you need to remove a student or move a selected time slot. We ask that all updates are communicated to both the student(s) affected and the Tufts Career Center.
Interviews are held Monday-Friday from 9:00am – 5:00pm at the Career Center in Dowling Hall (419 Boston Avenue, 7th floor). Employer check in time for interviews begins at 8:30am.
Virtual interviews can be conducted through Handshake’s video functionality if you are a premium partner, or via a platform of your choosing that you provide to the selected students in advance of their interview date. We recommend providing students with a calendar invite containing the virtual link needed to join the interview.
If you are using a pre-selected schedule, you will receive a schedule of your interview day upon check-in with our front desk, and you will be escorted to your designated interview room(s). You will need to print resume packets on your own if you would like to have paper copies.
For virtual interviews, you will be able to access the schedule on Handshake or your external tracking system. Please expect a member of our staff to follow-up with you after your interview date to collect student attendance and any feedback you wish to provide.
If you have selected the Preselect Schedule Type, please reach out to our Recruiting Coordinator Willa Mayo to update your schedule. If you have selected Room Only reservations, you have complete control over them.
Regardless of interview format, all changes need to be finalized no later than 1 week prior to your interview date. For any requests within 1 week of your interview date our team will do the best we can to accommodate, but we cannot guarantee changes due to the large number of interviews during peak recruitment times.
Handshake will be your primary reference to see your candidates and schedules. For any additional questions about recruitment at Tufts, please contact a member of our team below:
- Sue Atkins, Associate Director, Employer Relations
- Willa Mayo, Recruitment Coordinator, Employer Relations
[STUDENT NO-SHOW POLICY]: As a policy, we ask that students who are no longer able to meet with an employer for a one-on-one session or interview give 24 hours notice. This is as a courtesy to the employer and to other students who would be interested in filling the slot. If the event has started, we kindly ask that they keep their commitment as a representation of not only themselves, but the Tufts community. No-shows may result in repercussions, including sending an apology letter to the employer, meeting with a Career Center staff member to discuss next steps, or losing Handshake access.