Hiring International Students from Tufts University

Tufts University is a diverse community with students coming from over 110 countries and 50 states across the U.S.   About 13% of students are foreign citizens and they bring a wide array of skills and competencies that can benefit employers upon graduation.

We wanted to provide some information that highlights the ways that international students can join your organization as an intern or full-time employee and the legal routes that are in-place to make this happen for your organization.

International Students as Interns

Most international students come to the United States to study on an F-1 visa.   This visa allows the students to intern during their studies using curricular practical training (CPT) or to have a job related to their studies during or after graduation using Optional Practical Training (OPT).

Curricular Practical Training gives F-1 international students authorization for training, including paid or unpaid internships, during their studies. Students have a chance to work full-time (more than 20 hours per week) or part-time (20 hours or less per week) depending on program options and requirements.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is temporary employment that is directly related to an F-1 student’s major area of study. Up to 12 months of eligibility available either pre-completion or post-completion. Certain students with US STEM degrees may qualify for 24-month extensions of their post-completion OPT with STEM-related job offers from E-verify employers.

Sponsoring International Students post-graduation

The H-1B visa is a non-immigrant visa that allows individuals from all over the world work in the United States for a sponsoring employer. This visa type was designed specifically for workers in specialty occupations that require a minimum of a bachelor’s or the equivalent in a specialized field or discipline.

For international students in the United States wishing to stay longer than their OPT period, an H-1B visa can be a great way to continue to pursue employment and professional development in the US for US employers. However, for most private-sector entities, number of new H-1Bs issued each year is limited.

Resources for Employers

Hiring international students and ways to approach that process by speaking about OPT, CPT, H-1B sponsorship. (View the Envoy Employer’s Guide to H-1B Cap Season)

 The Tufts International Center has a lot of information for employers seeking to hiring an international student as an intern or full-time employee.

 You can also find additional information at the links listed below:




By Sue Atkins
Sue Atkins Associate Director, Employer Relations