Resources for First Gen Students & Alumni
The Career Center is here to support you as you explore your interests, gain experience, and work toward your goals. Check out the following resources for career exploration, internship/job search, and more.
The Herd is our flash mentoring platform for student-alumni career conversations. In addition to talking with alumni whose career paths interest you, we encourage you to join our new affinity groups on The Herd, which encourage productive interaction and networking through professional and social engagement, provide opportunities such as jobs, internships, volunteer roles, and events, and support the community’s professional and career development through advocacy.
Additional Career Resources
- Breaking Cycle – A blog created to help first-generation students feel heard, supported, and to help them succeed.
- America Needs You – An organization that fights for economic mobility for ambitious, first-generation students by providing mentorship and career development.
- First In The Family – A collection of advice from first-generation college students for other first-generation college students.
- FirstGen Fellows – A ten-week summer fellowship program for first-generation students who have an interest in social justice.
- I’m First – A resource that supports and informs first-generation students and their families while starting and navigating college.
- The Struggle to be First – An article written by and about first-generation college students from UC Berkeley about the difficulties of being the first in their families to go to college.
- Council on Legal Education Opportunity – A non-profit organization working to expand opportunities for first-generation, minority and low-income students to go to law school.
- 30+ Diversity & Career Discovery Programs for Finance, Consulting, Tech and More